175/200 gr LRX

Shane Lindsey

I have posted this same question on other forums and seen some of your names on there as well so hoping someone will chime in.

I live in California and this year they are beginning the all copper implementation. Most of the good hunting seems to be in these areas. With that said for long range do I buy into "shoot less weight for velocity" or go with heavier/better BC? Rifle is a 300 WM and shows promise with 210 HVLDs but need suggestions on all copper. Any advice or better bullets to use?
Thanks

Shane

My suggestion is to use the 200 lrx bullet. My father has a 300 win and is currently doing load development with the 200 lrx. I have seen very good results with this bullet in the 300 rum, so that was the reason to try it in the 300 win. Currently he is trying Vit N560 and Reloader 26 but there are many powders that are capable of producing good/great LR loads.

I have not taken game with them but have been doing testing with the 175LRX and 200LRX

I have been working on copper loads for quite a while. I use them because it's want I want to do.

For 300WSM and 300Wby: 175LRX
For 300RUM: 200 LRX

I don't have my loads fine tuned but they are showing promise.

IIWM: use the 175LRX and go fast like copper likes to but the 200 will be great too.

I've been shooting deer with 150 and 168 grain tsx and ttsx Barnes for 10 years now. I shoot a Lazzeroni Warbird which is similar to the 300rum. I have had no problems with kills at ranges of less than 100 to almost 500. The bullet performs as expected and drops them in there tracks. The only deer that ever took a step was a mule deer in the high country but that was a poor shot on my part (happens to the best of us I guess).
Mine really likes the 150 grain ttsx. Shoots 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 300 so that's what I go with. Have tried about every other bullet out there from 150 to 195 and found the 150 solid to always shoot the best. 168 is a very close second. Recoil is much less than the heavier bullets and from a gun with plenty of recoil to begin with I'm glad it shoots 150's so good.:D
As far as meat damage goes I'd say no more than my 338 with 250 grain nosler partitions. Penetration is always good and have had no pass through bullets. Expansion is great and wound cavity is massive. That being said I always shoot behind the shoulder on broadside shots. If they are facing me (like this past years Mule deer) then I try to put it dead center high chest. Have had that shot 4 times on deer and ruined no meat.
IMR 7828 seems to be my best powder for these bullets. 99.5 grains and a 26" barrel gets me 3750fps at sea level.

I never understood why everyone wants to shoot big heavy bullets unless your shooting 600 plus yards and the better bc translates into more energy on target. At 600 or less my 150 is faster flatter and more accurate and plenty big enough to take down a bull elk. Just my .02
Good luck

I have loads developed for other rifles. If 600 was my max I got that covered.

I am specifically looking for that 600 plus-more like to the maximum range the bullet will function. These bullets claim to be down to about 1600 fps. Barnes claims to load lighter for caliber and I wanted to get other folks thoughts as this is for longer range.

Did quite a lot of testing with both last fall in a custom 300 WM. My 300 RUM loves the 200's and the 300 WM seemed to shoot them better than the 175's as well. Wound up with Norma MRP, Federal 215 match and norma brass.

I shoot the 200gr LRX out of my 300 winmag and I am having very good results. I tried the lighter 168 TTSX and my gun just didn't like the lighter bullets, couldn't get a group under 3" @100 yards. Now with the 200gr LRX I'm getting 1/2" groups @ 100 yards and 3" groups @ 500 yards.

MM/Jammer,
What kind of velocities are you getting and with what components?
Living in Ca near the coast in the land of eternal sunshine all load development is typically in the 70* mark. I use Hogdon extreme powders for this as most hunting will be in cooler temps.

Thanks

I'm using WLRM primers, Federal brass, 62.5gr H4350 with the 200gr LRX and my velocities average is 2780 fps from a 24" barrel. I'm going to try IMR 7828SSC next since I have a few pounds of it and am having trouble finding more H4350.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.