170 EOL or Hammer Hunter for 6.8 Western?

I love hammers and Bergers… if it was me I'd work up a load for both. But I'd use a lighter hammer and send it faster for a hold on fur load out to 400 so there's less overlap. That's what I'm doing with my 25-284…Berger long range load and hammer still hunting load.

Gathering components for a lightweight 6.8 Western with 1:8 twist for open country mule deer — shots could be 300 to 1000 yds with also possibility of elk.

I normally shoot Bergers: 168 VLDs in my 280ai and 215 Berger in my 30 Nos but have no experience with monos — the Hammer Hunters are really peaking my interest.

I should be able to reach 2950 with the 170 EOL and 3300 with 126 HH or 3000 with 156 HH.

What does the LRH brain trust recommend?
Because elk and 1000 yards are in the same sentence, "I" would pick the 170 Berger. "I" will, however, keep it at 800Y and closer.

At my altitude with a 200Y zero based on your velocities at 800Y:

170 EOL: 2041 FPS/1573 FT-LBS
156 HH: 1952 FPS/1320 FT-LBS
126 HH: 1842 FPS/949 FT-LBS

Last edited:
Using 165 gr Nosler ABLR and 175 gr Sierra gamechanger, new western brass, Fed 215 primers and very slow powders. Very high ballistics coefficients put some good legs on that round and high sectional densities give great penetration and bullets have good wind resistance. Launching at a very casual 2844 with ABLR and 2800 with 175 they hit like a .300 WM at 500 yards, still have 1200 Ft Lbs. at 700 yds. I just haven't warmed up to Berger or Hammer bullets, but I do like Barnes TTSX.

I have had good results with the 170 berger in a 1-8 270 WSM on deer and pigs. Very similar results to 168 berger out of 7mm so if happy with those results for your purpose I would say good to go with 170 berger

Lou

I have had good results with the 170 berger in a 1-8 270 WSM on deer and pigs. Very similar results to 168 berger out of 7mm so if happy with those results for your purpose I would say good to go with 170 berger

Lou
What is your load you are running with your 270 WSM and the 170 Berger? I was going to load up some 170's when I get a chance. It's a new build with a 1-8 twist as well. Not much info with the heavies yet

65.5gr imr-7977 for approx 2850 fps in Win brass with fed 215. Beleive this was a medium ish load but since no load data with this powder did not push it. I know was up over 2900 fps with out any pressure signs but I like to shoot pigs in 100 degree TX heat so did not push it and this charge was most accurate out of my skinny re-barrelled Kimber

Lou

I vote hammer. I like full pass through on game. Bergers can definitely make a full pass through but hammers will almost always give a full pass through or be found on opposite side hide.

I vote hammer. I like full pass through on game. Bergers can definitely make a full pass through but hammers will almost always give a full pass through or be found on opposite side hide.
That's the beauty of having plenty of choices to meet our preferences and intended purpose. There is no such thing as a magic bullet that fits every occasion. I am going to reiterate how much I like @lancetkenyon approach to bullet choice:

<XXX yards; bullet X
>XXX yards; bullet Y

The Berger bullets are fragmenting bullets with maximum energy dump/transfer on impact and do not need a pass-through to be effective. It is one of the reasons that I transitioned to Berger as my go-to bullet. The no pass-through also reduces the risk of anything beyond the target. Cheers!

65.5gr imr-7977 for approx 2850 fps in Win brass with fed 215. Beleive this was a medium ish load but since no load data with this powder did not push it. I know was up over 2900 fps with out any pressure signs but I like to shoot pigs in 100 degree TX heat so did not push it and this charge was most accurate out of my skinny re-barrelled Kimber

Lou
Thank you. I'll give it a shot