17 wsm

Mighty good thread and I'm sorry I just found it! D11r529 had some good things to say about the 17WSM. I bought the Ruger and though I love it/hate it, kinda wish I'd gone to the heavy barrel Savage. I shoot Prairie dogs to over 300 and groundhogs close. Had a replacement stock made and then fully bedded the barrel, trigger job. Shoots awesome. It's my fav of the 5 rifles I take PD shootin , 3 to 1.
As for JE Custom, I found the best thing the put on a barrel is a suppressor! Five of us were in the PD fields this year and all had them. It was fabulous! So quiet! Cans , in my world, have increased accuracy, increased enjoyment and saves my ears.
Two of my PD shootin friends were so impressed with the WSM that both have ordered a HB Savage in it. That round reminds me of the comparison between the .22 LR and the .22Mag. Like them, a big difference between the HMR (which I have as a closet queen now) and the WSM.
And lastly, yes, I believe all WSM ammo is made by one company.

I recently inherited a Savage B mag sporter in 17 wsm, and a bunch of ammo Winchester 20 and 25 grain. The rifle does not like the Winchester 25 gr 4"-5" groups, American Eagle 20's was about 1 1/2- 2", but shoots the Winchester 20's sub 1/2. Two weeks ago I used it on sage rats, and it definitely hits harder than my 17 hmr. Added a bolt handle and a Vortex scope it's a keeper. Now I have to trade out 1500 plus rounds of 25's for 20's

ertlonggun, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting good results with the 25s. Same thing for the HMR; the heavier bullets rarely shot as well as the lighter ones.

Just a thought, but CZ makes a tack driving .22 rimfire. I have it in the 455, but the latest is the 457. Anyhow, I wrote them to encourage them to build a 17 WSM along those lines. They said the 455 and 457 actions aren't big enough. I wrote back to say why not another action, or hone out the 455/457. And other encouraging words. Have not heard back this time. If you all want a CZ in 17WSM, write them and tell em!

ertlonggun, I haven't heard of ANYONE getting good results with the 25s. Same thing for the HMR; the heavier bullets rarely shot as well as the lighter ones.
Savage changed their 1/9 bore twist to 1/8 to have better luck with the 25gr. Most of them show great improvement with the 25gr and some do good with both the 20gr and 25gr.

Anyway to know which twist rate you have, THX
I don't know the site but there is info as to your question. I have the first model Savage BMAG WSM skinny barrel with the 1/9 twist and 20gr and 25gr both shoot good groups and nearly the same POI. Strange, but true.

And from what I have read, the 15gr shoots much better in the new 1/8 twist barrels.

Last edited: