17 WSM today sight in.

After having the entire action bedded and free floated I'm real happy with its performance. #1 50 yards ,20 and 25 grain all in one hole.#2 75 yards one flyer my error ,#3 100 yards one flyer my fault and four in one ragged hole. varmints beware.View attachment 200271View attachment 200272View attachment 200270
Good groups with a light bullet. Must have been a day with zero wind at 75-100 yards. I own a 17 HMR and almost pulled the trigger on a 17WSM but when I shoot at over 150 yards in any kind of wind, the groups aren't good. Excellent groups at 50/100. Quarter size 100 yard groups is nice at 100 yards on range conditions but out shooting ground hogs, many times wind isn't nice. I just pull out the .224 center-fire rifles. The 17 rimfires are a hoot but can't get real serious with it when wind is present.

Good groups with a light bullet. Must have been a day with zero wind at 75-100 yards. I own a 17 HMR and almost pulled the trigger on a 17WSM but when I shoot at over 150 yards in any kind of wind, the groups aren't good. Excellent groups at 50/100. Quarter size 100 yard groups is nice at 100 yards on range conditions but out shooting ground hogs, many times wind isn't nice. I just pull out the .224 center-fire rifles. The 17 rimfires are a hoot but can't get real serious with it when wind is present.
I agree,the 17WSM is to me a 150 yard cartridge,however, I can stretch it to 200 under some conditions. I practice relentlessly and misses on my #1 quarry are not acceptable. Still in the learning curves of the little rimfire,so far so good,there's always the 22 hornet and the 204 if things get too tough for the 17wsm.

Hey, guys.

RELAX.
I'm sorry for taking the conversation off track but I just have to shake my head at how admins/owners/moderators always admonish both people in an out of control argument rather than just pointing out the guy that started the problem. B23 instigated the rude behavior so it's not hard to tell him to quit being a jerk, there is no reason to say "Hey, guys.", it should be hey B23 back off.

It's not that hard to be civilized and tell somebody that you don't agree with them without calling them names and being rude.

I'm sorry for taking the conversation off track but I just have to shake my head at how admins/owners/moderators always admonish both people in an out of control argument rather than just pointing out the guy that started the problem. B23 instigated the rude behavior so it's not hard to tell him to quit being a jerk, there is no reason to say "Hey, guys.", it should be hey B23 back off.

It's not that hard to be civilized and tell somebody that you don't agree with them without calling them names and being rude.
Theres always that one or two guys on forums that just can't abide by any rules but their own. They know it all and won't be told anything different. In most of those cases, the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease.

Here's my imaginary pillar bedding action,
invoice.jpg
I had done by a world renowned company,sure made this bad boy shoot,just saying BS,is not in my vocabulary.Been called fictitious by some?I'm confused.

Here's my imaginary pillar bedding action,View attachment 201209 I had done by a world renowned company,sure made this bad boy shoot,just saying BS,is not in my vocabulary.Been called fictitious by some?I'm confused.
I've never owned not shot a WSM. I own two .17 HMRs. One is a Savage and the other a Marlin. Both heavier barrel laminate stock rifles. Guess their called varmint barrel models. Both have had nothing done to them except trigger replacement. Both shoot so well that there is no need to bed these action/barrels. On calm no wind days I can shoot 1/4" groups at 50 yards and easily under an inch at 100. I'm no competition shooter so if that's not impressive, I guess I'm glad I'm not a comp shooter because there very impressive to me for 17-20 grain bullets at 100 yards. Being strictly a hunter and steel plate ringer, these are beyond anything I'd ever need for varmints out to 250 yards. I just need to pick my shooting days when shooting beyond 150

I've never owned not shot a WSM. I own two .17 HMRs. One is a Savage and the other a Marlin. Both heavier barrel laminate stock rifles. Guess their called varmint barrel models. Both have had nothing done to them except trigger replacement. Both shoot so well that there is no need to bed these action/barrels. On calm no wind days I can shoot 1/4" groups at 50 yards and easily under an inch at 100. I'm no competition shooter so if that's not impressive, I guess I'm glad I'm not a comp shooter because there very impressive to me for 17-20 grain bullets at 100 yards. Being strictly a hunter and steel plate ringer, these are beyond anything I'd ever need for varmints out to 250 yards. I just need to pick my shooting days when shooting beyond 150
Those 17 hmrs can shoot for sure,however I've seen coyotes hit that ran off,not shot by me however,I can drop any coyote out to 200 with a head shot if I'm packing something a little on the light side.But i've seen guys that can shoot drop more than their fair share of coyes with the little hmr.Shot placement always rules.Here's a big boy dropped at 110 yds,between the eyes CCI velocitor out of my Tikka T1X,DRT.
drt.jpg

Couple things, the Savage Bmag accutrigger is not like the one on their centerfires and it's also not like the one on the Model 93 rimfire. Again, we are talking about the Savage Bmag, not a Savage CF, even in that link, in bold print, Note: This will only work in centerfire rifles with the accu-trigger system installed. It is not compatible with any rimfire models.

Also, I didn't say you couldn't get the trigger down to 2lbs on a Bmag I said you can't get it down to 2lbs without spending some time tuning on it and that'll require taking it out of the stock and if you are going to take it out of the stock then there will be no problem posting some pictures of this fictitious full action bedding job.
It's a deadly cartridge at 300 yards on head shots IF accuracy is good with no wind. No expansion needed on head shots.
I have had three b-mags all shot pretty well the triggers were all adjusted to 1.5 pounds by me and all had to be removed from the stock I don't recommend you do this with out checking with gun Smith the light barrel stocks were horrible I replaced mine with Boyd's tacitcool my stainless heavy barrel will shoot both 20 and 25 into .5 or smaller at 100

I have had three b-mags all shot pretty well the triggers were all adjusted to 1.5 pounds by me and all had to be removed from the stock I don't recommend you do this with out checking with gun Smith the light barrel stocks were horrible I replaced mine with Boyd's tacitcool my stainless heavy barrel will shoot both 20 and 25 into .5 or smaller at 100
Amen brother mine shoots great,the fictitious bedding job did it,glad yours shoots well,the HB is the only way to go,I've got a Boyds forest camo classic for mine,all the ammo so far is shooting well,the flyers were nothing to scare me ,unless i was a varmint. good shooting to you West Va along the New river is GH heaven.

My 77/17 is acceptably accurate for ground squirrels out to 150yds in the wind... That little 17gr boolit gets pushed around pretty good on a breezy day. Mine is the standard walnut/blue steel model topped with a 4-12 Leupold Vari Xii... Only mod was a tune on the factory by a great gunsmith... l dont care much for the sloppy 2 piece bolt of Rugers...

My 77/17 is acceptably accurate for ground squirrels out to 150yds in the wind... That little 17gr boolit gets pushed around pretty good on a breezy day. Mine is the standard walnut/blue steel model topped with a 4-12 Leupold Vari Xii... Only mod was a tune on the factory by a great gunsmith... l dont care much for the sloppy 2 piece bolt of Rugers...
Glad she shoots well for you,a pricey rifle but the ones who have them seem to enjoy them.I made the hb Savage a real decent shooter for a little over $200.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.