17 remington

screech

Have any of you used this round. what is it good for? will it kill coyotes past 200yrds. If so how far? are they a finicky cartridge? thanks

I shoot a 700 bdl in 17 Remington and it's a great fur round.I try to limit my shots to 250 yards. I have killed a few in the 350 range but that's pushing it IMO. I love my 17 other than the brass does not last very long and to develop a load they are picky.

I've heard that. How picky are we talkiing about? Is it like 350 loads later picky or is it like the 7 or 8 loads you will find one that shoots well picky? What bullets are you shooting out of your's?

The big thing is to have a clean barrel like clean every 10 or 15 rounds. I think I was on my 11th load when I found a good one. The load I have has shot well in three other 17's though. The load is 24.2 grains of imr 4320 and Berger 25gr hp's.My 17 with this load on a clean barrel with shoot under .5 but with 24.5 it will shot about 2 inches for a three shot group.If you have more questions I will be happy to help the best I can.

A 17 Rem is not picky to find a load for in my experience because it has no recoil. It is very easy to shoot accurately other than being a little light when shooting from the bench. I have shot one for over 35 years. I do not kill coyotes mainly because I am such a lousy coyote hunter, but I have made some really good shots on many varieties of small animals under 300 yards. I would not sell that gun for anything. It is just an old 700 BDL that Doc Ed re-crowned last year and adjusted the trigger for me, but the gun is just a lot of fun. It has no recoil but does make some noise.

I believe Varget is the powder of choice but I use 4064 because long ago that is the first powder I ever tried and it went under 0.5 MOA so that was good enough for me. You might find it to be ignition sensitive so you might try a few brands primers if you seem to get unexplained fliers every now and again. I also enjoy reloading the tiny little cases and bullets although one does get ones finger pinched frequently when inserting the bullet for seating (just call me Clumsy Carp here).

I do not find the gun to need cleaning any more than any other of my overbore guns. I do not find any difference in group size between Berger and Hornady.

P.S.

Bobcsat Trapper, I do not mean to be offensive, I am just reporting my experiences with my gun.

I hunted coyotes with a Rem 17 for a few years and was very happy with the performance.Its been quite a while but I remember only ever shooting a 25 gr Hornady with IMR 4320 and got great results with it.I dont remember shooting to much more than 200 yds,but remember very vividly a fox that was shot while loping away from me at about 200 yds.The shot resulted in a dead fox with one rear leg hanging by a thin piece of skin.

buffalobob

Not offensive at all my 17 was a pain to find a load for but the Kimber 17 I worked with was easy the first load I tried and it shot well under .5. I also worked a load up for a custom with a hart barrel and it was not as bad as mine I tried three or four loads in it.As I stated my 17 was a pain not to say they all are but mine was.

If i get one its mostly going to be used on ground squirles and rock chucks. I was just wondering If I see a coyote or something of coyote size if it will kill it cleanly with a chest shot. Any hunting stories would be cool if you're willing to post them.

I had one for about two years. the only load i shot out of mine was factory load 25 gr hornadys and it shot good. i mainly used mine for jack rabbits and pdogs, worked great on running rabbits because it is so fast, didnt have to lead very far. good round if the wind isnt blowing to hard, like it always is in good ol wyoming.

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont mind me asking, where did you here that? That sound like a nifty little cartridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all over the internet.

It is the .17 Mach V with a factory name. Interchangable with the wildcat. Be out sometime in the spring!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.