.17 remington trouble

chad

ok I have a 17 Remington. I cant get it to shoot.. Anyone have a Remington that they would share loads on? im shooting 20 grain vmax bullets. and tried ramshot tac powder. Its all I can find for the 17. My father in law wants his gun to go shoot and I have nothing to give him to trust to hit anything.

I shoot 27gr of cfe223 with a 20gr vmax. Remington 7 1/2 primer. Almost one hole and 4400fps. IMR4320 is a good powder also.

Last rime I was at Fin-Feather and Fur in Ashland, Ohio they had at least 30 8 pound jugs of CFE223 on the shelf. Was about a month ago btw.

CFE223 would be a good idea for keeping down the Copper fouling.

I suggest you clean the Copper out that is already in there.

My wife fired a rifle once. Just one shot. A 17 Rem and killed a prairie dog in 1984.

Though I know Bruce Hodgdon (he's a muzzleloader fanatic btw), I'm a doubting Thomas concerning the supposed 'copper removing' qualites of the CFE propellants.

I prefer a real answer like Bore Tech Eliminator myself.

Though I know Bruce Hodgdon (he's a muzzleloader fanatic btw), I'm a doubting Thomas concerning the supposed 'copper removing' qualites of the CFE propellants.

I prefer a real answer like Bore Tech Eliminator myself.

I have a dozen different Copper fouling products. I have not bothered to buy the Bore Tech after reading the test that got these data after soaking a Copper bullet for a day

Final weights:
Cu+2 = 140.4 gr. (start weight = 140.4; 0.0 grains weight lost)
Eliminator = 139.8 gr. (start weight = 139.8; 0.0 grains weight lost)
KG-12 = 138.5 gr. (start weight = 140.3; 1.8 grains weight lost)

I am still using KG-12 to get it out and CFE223 and moly to prevent it from getting in the there to start. If you know something I don't please tell me.

i have a 17rem bdl and it has never liked 20gr bullets of any kind i have best luck with imr 3031 an imr 4320 mine loves almost any 25gr bullets

I've had 3 - 17 Remingtons at once and none of them really liked the 20vmax. All of mine really liked IMR 4320 and 25vmax, 25 Hornady hp, 25 & 30 Bergers. Also you could try Woodchuck Den 25,27 & 30 Gold bullets. They are very good BTHPs for putting fur down.

Thanks everyone. I got it to shoot the 20's with varget at about 1/2" good enough for the father in law I guess. I wouldn't have a 17 Remington. It seems to foul the barrel to fast. Ill just stick to the 223.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.