17 Remington Shooters

Looks the size of a small to medium coyote….cross fox to boot, thank you sir for the photo…..what do you do when you run into a bear with a .17?
I've managed to call in several bears and hiked in on dozens. Once they know you're a human they generally boogie. I stopped worrying about them.

Burned a lot of 380 with 30 grain bergers back in the "day". Loaded them at 3650. Loaded my 338 ultramag with 180's and reloader 22 to the Same velocity at the time. Those were simpler days. Just load something fast for the maximum point blank range and call it good. I never did push my varmint rifle though, didn't want to burn em up.

Interesting. I just came across three pounds of IMR4320 in a heap of loading stuff I bought. Since it's not on the burn chart anymore I started looking around to find out more about it, and the consensus seemed to be that it was basically replaced by Varget.
The late Jack O Conner advised using it in lieu of 4064 because of the smaller grains and the ease of sending it thru powder measures.
Ive been using it in 06 and 308 size cases ever since.
Im very sorry it is no longer produced.

The late Jack O Conner advised using it in lieu of 4064 because of the smaller grains and the ease of sending it thru powder measures.
Ive been using it in 06 and 308 size cases ever since.
Im very sorry it is no longer produced.
Maybe I should have held onto it instead of being such a swell guy and selling it for $20 a pound.

I got my first 17 rem in 77 or 78 A Remington BDL, I fell in love at The first shot of that cartridge, while I loved the cartridge I did not care much for the 700, so I upgraded to a custom sako, in the time since that first i've owned 11 and rebarreling twice along the way, I always felt I needed two, although I ended up with three when the day was done, the problem I encountered was a family member or hunting buddy felt they needed one more than I needed two, so I have fielded a few rifles along the way, all rifles except one were sporters, the one heavy barrel intended as a prairie dog rifle built on a XP 100 I never got into the field, A member of our local rod and gun club made me a offer i couldn't refuse on it before the prairie dogs awoke in the spring, 7 of the remaining 10 rifles were built on the cute little sako action, and the 3 that weren't 1 was a ruger number1A, another was on a mini MK X mauser, and the final a kimber 84 super America, This rifle is my favorite rifle and will be the last gun I ever give up, I could kill a elk with it If I had to, but I refuse to shoot prairie dogs with a 338, most the rifles wore a 22 in barrel the heavy barrel and the 700 wore 24 in, and a sako mannlicher wears a 20, 4320 was a favorite in 3 rifles, 3 prefer IMR or H4895, 2 liked VN140, the others liked Win760, varget and benchmark, Rem71/2 primers seem to work the best, all but one rifle shot best with maximum loads, the old Remington bullet almost always shot better than the hornady, I spent a year using the 30 gr Berger on coyotes and rock chucks but didn't find any advantage to them so went back to the hornady, these days I stick to the hornaday v-max both 20 and 25 gr but prefer the 25 for coyotes, I average somewhere between 2 and 3 dozen coyotes most years, I quit counting at 200 back in the 90's most of these shot with a 17, A inch and a half high at 100 yards and a inch and a half low at 300 with a maximum load is deadly although most shots are under 50 but I have used it out to 400.

Long time lurker, love a .17 Rem. Haven't seen it mentioned, but I've had good luck with 25gr CFE223, 25Gr Burger and Rem 71/2 primer. I'm getting over 4100fps in a 24" 1:9 barrel, grouping 1/2 to 5/8". Bought the powder for something else and decided to try in the .17 Rem. My factory barrel was from the year the .17Rem was the 700 Classic. IMR4320 was my go to powder. I killed a pickup loads of ground hogs, foxes and coyotes with it before I burned it out. I couldn't get it to group with my new barrel with acceptable velocity.

Im using H4895 with the 25gr Bergers and the 30gr Reeds. Im cronoing the 25gr at 4092 fps and the 30gr at 3872 fps all well under .5 Using Remington 7 1/2 Primers

Seems we all have different powder/bullet combo's, but most of us settle on the old Remington 7 1/2 primers. Now if they would just start showing up on the shelves again. Glad I have put an ample supply aside. And no I do not have any for sale!

17 remingtons i had over the years i was using w760, rem 7 1/2 primers and 30 golds. Now im shooting a 17 tac with either big game or re15 and rem 7 1/2 with don unmussig 30 grainers. Super fun caliber...

Recent Posts