17 Remington 25gr Berger

Gregory Duerr

Was wondering what bullet you use in your 17 Remington. I have only worked up a load using the 25gr berger and was just wondering what others might be using. My load is 21.8 gr H322

I just picked up a .17 Remington myself, an early 90's model 700. The only bullets I could find were the 20gr Vmaxes. I tried Varget, and H4895 with fairly lack luster results. Picked up a can of CFE223 and it was like flicking a switch. The rifle went from 2" groups to about 3/4" with just about every load I tried. I settled on the start load in the Hodgdon Manual 23 or 24 grains I can't remember off the top of my head but it shot the best with five shots holding under half an inch. I am not too concerned with velocity in this cartridge as the start load is still pushing 3800fps and all I use it for is exploding rabbits which it does very well.

What are you using your 17 Remington on? Had good luck with the old berger 25hp that's no longer made, hornady 25hp, and kindler golds on coyotes. Wouldn't try the berger 25 grain varmint on coyotes if that's what you are using it on

I switched to the Berger 25gr Varmint H P with H322 and Remington 7 1/2 I use them on Jackrabbits and ground squirrels and will be trying them out on Coyotes this fall and winter. My rifle is the CZ 527 and shoot close to .5 3918 fps..........
I was shooting the Reed's 32gr RBBT HP and had settled on that bullet but they ran out and when they got the new ones in they were not anything like the last lot ............plan on ordering 100 of their 30gr RBBT HP today and seeing if they are better than the new batch of 32's

Was wondering what bullet you use in your 17 Remington. I have only worked up a load using the 25gr berger and was just wondering what others might be using. My load is 21.8 gr H322
I really like the 25 & 30gr bullets by Chan Nagel in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho. Accurate, works really well and Chan is a super guy to deal with.
I burn Varget, RL15, BLC(2), H414.
I fired the most accurate load in my rifle using Chan's 30gr. T000 bullet with H414 and a Remington 7 1/2 Primer- less than a 1/4"group for 4 shots( yeah I pulled one out- must be the loose nut behind the stock)
The only primer I use in the .17Rem is the Remington 7 1/2, I tried them all but always go back to it.
There is a margin of safety here as well, the 7 1/2 Primer was made specifically for the .17 Rem, thicker cup, less chance of piercing a primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.