.17 rem

My Dad puts about 100 rounds a year through his. Still fairly popular locally and ammo is available in most gun shops although he reloads for his. A very nice little round if you are not shooting high volumes. He has a 450 yard coyote kill with his. This was beyond the effective range but he was desperate to stop it from chasing deer fawns.

Despite its small size it is a noisy cartridge. Very low recoil and a regular profile barrel is a "heavy barrel" because the hole is so small. A lot of fun for small animals out to about 300 yards. Very low BC bullets get blown around a lot in any wind

In australia you can still buy ammo for the .17 remington but its $511 AUS a 100 thats like $5.10 aus a shot. Iv got one I shoot foxs and roos out to about 200m to 300m.

.222rem
.17 Remington; great cartridge, did a lot of coyote and chuck hunting with one in Eastern Washington. At first I had trouble really fining the load. Then one day I took one of the factory cartridge apart... The factory cartridge in my rifle was sub .5 moa at 100 yards.. with velocity right on their numbers of 4040 fps. The hand loads then { .17 Rem being new by Remington} were all over the place.. Using Hornady or Remington bullets. Later Remington dropped their bullet for hand loaders... to bad it was a very good bullet. Anyway I wanted a load as accurate as the factory rounds.
What I found was; a powder that weighed out at {22.8grs} and powder in the load very much {identical} to VV-N135
So I load Remington brass, used a Remington 71/2 BR primer, Remington 25gr. bullet, with 22.8grs of VV-N135 I also used Remington OAL for the cartridge. The velocity was dead nuts on 4040 fps and in the same hole as the factory load... I bought all the Remington 25gr. bullets I could fine and 8,000 Remington 71/2 BR primer... a long with a good supply of N135
In three rifles over the years, this load has been a proven winner for the .17 Remington.
It seems to kill like lightning right up to 350 yards... at "351 yards" it starts going south, just the nature of the cartridge.

Yep, it's very, very hard {unless you hit hard bone near the hide} to find the entrance wound.. we'd have to put a boot on yote to get a little blood to pop out of the entrance hole.

Here's a picture of a fox I shot at about 250m with a .17 rem
P1010337.jpg

Thanks.
I had been told that 30 years ago, and never forgot it.
I have only seen one .17 rem, it is owned by the range master at American Shooting Center here in Houston Mr. Birchfield.
(He refuses to sell).

Nice predator bro, beautiful animal. Ihope his pelt is around your Wife's neck right now....

Another fun thing about the .17 Rem; is that shooting them is little like watching T.V in the scope, the recoil is all but gone. It's very easy to see the hook up with the target. My last rifle {which I've sold and I am trying to get back } was a M700 Classic .17 Rem, made in 1999 This was a super shooter out of all the .17's I've had.

My Remington 788 308 was the best rifle I have owned so far. It was made in 1985 I believe.
AWESOME gun.

Definitely get that old school rifle back bro, I just paid 1045 for a Sendero and took a year to get it the way I want it to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.