17 Rem

I have one of the originals. A Rem 700 short action stainless barrel.

I do not load it real fast.

I use 22.6 grains of IMR 4064 and CCI 400 primers and 25 gr Hdy and that gets about 3800 fps. I do not have a chrongraph so my velocities are just from the loading manual.

It is just a factory gun and shoots about 0.5 MOA.

My understanding is that Varget is a better powder choice but I have shot this same load for 30 years and see no reason to change my ways.

Years ago I had very good accuracy with IMR 4320 with Hornady's 25 gr HP in a 700 BDL.You might watch it if your loading for a Contender,rifle loads are a little stout for the Contender and pressures can rise pretty quick with small powder increases in the .17

Last edited:
Right. IMR 4320 is the classic powder for the .17 Rem. My Shilen barreled Rem 700 especially liked the Berger 30 grainers.

B64 is also right about pressure jumps in the little sob:mad: She'll pierce primers faster than you can blink! So start low and work up real slow..and use Rem 7 1/2 small rifle primers (the cups are harder than other primers).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.