17 Rem,Tactical etc. (Lets End The Myth)

.17 Hunter
What powder,brass and barrel are you using?
It sounds like you have a good load worked up.

Hal

I've spent long hours reading people's post on different forums... I'll tell you right now I'm a huge fan of this calliber. So..... Let's end the (myth) that this caliber does not work, and work well when it comes to putting coyotes on the ground.

Everyone has an opinion, Yes. But I really get tired of guys stating "my honest opinion" when they follow it up by saying they have never truly used this setup for coyotes. But rather go off results of a similar caliber... And some fellas on here haven't given this caliber an honest day in court.

300 yards and under...

I'm saying that this caliber, shooting 25gr or larger (non polymer tip) bullets, could be THE best combo for killing coyotes with next to NO fur damage. Yes, I hunt for fur. But there is something about the 17 Rem that is different. There is almost no recoil so you see the impact every time. The coyotes usually hit the ground as if struck by Thor's hammer. And I usually have to wait for blood to trickle out of the small hole to get confirmation on shot placement.

I ask you fellow 17 cal guys out there to post pictures here with a short story(results).

Without rambling on any longer, I do call yotes while shooting 223 and 243 but this is by far my best combo. Probably ruffled a few feathers as well but by all means, speak your peace.

Thanks
Brian
I don't know much about the 17 you're talking about but it sounds like you're describing a 17 hornet almost to a T, I can imagine the 17 you're shooting how devastating it must be. I've never had anything shot with the Hornet do anything but expire on the spot like struck by lightning, coyote, groundhogs , beavers big ones 30 to 40 lbs crows and feral things. 17's are awesome.

I always thought about buying a Remington 17 cal. Question… what is the barrel life on this caliber ? How many rounds ? I know I would never shoot one out at age 62 but if I was to buy a used gun what would be the max number of rounds it would start not grouping well ? Marty

Since we're talking about .17 cal. bullets of the lack of availability of them, thought I'd give a bullet report.

If anyone has talked to Mr. Nagel lately they are probably aware that Chan is making his own .17 jackets these days since he too has no J4 jackets. These new bullets seem to be tougher. Last I heard Chan was only selling 200 at a time to any one person.
I shot #10 and 11 yesterday for the season and I have yet to have a bullet stay in a broadside coyote. I'm running them a shade over 4,000 fps out of my 17/204.
These two yesterday were at 150 and 230 yards which is my longest shot with the new bullet. They are killing good and not blowing big holes, so no complaints here.
IMG_0212 by Tim Richard, on Flickr