.17 HMR scope recommendations.

Dakota79

What would you folks recommend for a scope to put on a .17 HMR? I don't want or need anything fancy and expensive because I will just be messing around with it and getting some younger people started shooting. More than likely just targets and prairie dogs.

I use the leupold VX-II 2-7x on mine. I picked that particular scope because it was the best glass I could find with the shorter fixed parallax distance, 75 yards IIRC. A center fire scope would have meant either going to an adjustable parallax which means more time making adjustments on variable distance shots, or a longer fixed parallax (most are between 100-200 yards) and therefore more parallax error on near shots. I primarily shoot hare and grouse/ptarmigan so I take lots of shots from 25-100 yards and prefer the lower zoom level. I would probably go to the 3-9 if I was doing prairie dogs though,

A sightron S-TAC is a decent scope, in 3-16 would be plenty of magnification for 200 yards p-dogs. Not sure what you mean by not expensive though, to some people that is $50, to others that is $500. I believe I saw some Vortex HST's on sale for somewhere in the high $300 range I believe, that may be an option too.

Mine wears a Burris E1 4.5-14x42 with LRMOA reticle. VERY clear glass and adjustable turrets if you want to teach how to dial. I love mine. Highly recommended!

I guess it also depends if you want a scope for dialing, holdover reticle, or if your just gonna zero it and forget it. That information, in conjunction with a budget range, can really help narrow it down.

My Volquartsen Superlight 17 HMR has a 9.5 oz SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10 x 32 with tally aluminum rings. Perfect match.

I like it. I just bought my second one yesterday. They have been backordered and was waiting. Found one on their sample list and grabbed it.

This one will go on a model 7 in 358 win. I use the model 7 for javelina hunting. Mild load so recoil isn't an issue because it does have a shorter than usual eye relief on powers higher than 7 or so. I find the eyebox is better on lower powers than the Leupold compact 2.5 that is currently on the model 7.

There is one with the plex crosshair left on sample list:

SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight Rifle Scope DEMO-B - SWFA Outdoors (samplelist.com)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts