17 hmr mach 2

I just shot a flat of it through a new T/C R-55 semi-auto and was quite impressed. I would say that it will be a 125 yard varminter. Shot some very tight groups at 50 yards, 1.5-2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. Wind is critical since the bullet is only 17 grains at around 2000 fps.
Most impressive thing was how snappy this little cartridge is, they are really using a high-performance powder. Much faster cycling of the action than a .22 LR. I was very skeptical, and was pleasantly surprised. Also shot the .17 HMR and it is a level higher - 2500 fps. but much more expensive.

I have only shot about 2 boxes of the stuff but it is definately neat. 2 of the 3 guns I have shot were quite accurate.
The published BC is almost exactly the same as most target .22LR bullets, but the MV is substantually higher, so wind drift should be less than 22LR across the board.
The only place I have been able to figure out that the hm2 is behind the old 22 is in energy at longer range... due to the lighter bullet. I was wondering when it first came out just how far behind the hmr the hm2 is... come out to about 60 yds. What the hm2 does at 100, the hmr does at 160.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.