17 Cal bullets for coyotes

bobcat trapper

I have a 17 remington I have shot a coyotes for years but ran out of 25 grain berger match HPs which have always done great for me. This year I tried some 25 grain v-max and had hit and miss performance. If I shot a coyote in the chest coming to the call I had major penetration issues resulting in some lost coyotes. I Shot a lot of chucks this spring with 25 grain berger varmint bullets and was not impressed seemed like they didn't expand at all. Can anyone recommend a good all around bullet for the 17 Remington? I was thinking of trying some woodchuck dens?

Have had 3 different 17 Rems over the years, I now only have a 17 Tactial ar and a 17 Rem fireball. The Hornady 25 hollow point works real good, but I have settled on the 27 Gold from Todd Kindler. I tried the 30s in the 17 Tac but was couldn't get any real good speed in the AR without blowing primers. He also makes a 25 too that shoots real good in my fireball. Definitely give them a try, not sure but they are the only 17 bthp bullet that I know of.

I have a 17 remington I have shot a coyotes for years but ran out of 25 grain berger match HPs which have always done great for me. This year I tried some 25 grain v-max and had hit and miss performance. If I shot a coyote in the chest coming to the call I had major penetration issues resulting in some lost coyotes. I Shot a lot of chucks this spring with 25 grain berger varmint bullets and was not impressed seemed like they didn't expand at all. Can anyone recommend a good all around bullet for the 17 Remington? I was thinking of trying some woodchuck dens?

I understand your frustration.. I shot a Remington .17 for many years hunting Yotes and Chucks.. One day I decided to see why Remington's .17 ammo out of the box shot so well in my rifle, Remington M700

Long story short; I took one apart and inspected it's components. What I came up with was.

Remington's Brass
Remington's 25gr HP
Remington's 7 1/2 Bench primer

Powder: Their (Rem's) weight was 22.8gr Their powder was a little harder to locate, I went through all the manuals I've collected over the years, which are many. What I found was an old Vihtavvouori "VV" first edition loading manual in my stack which gave a load for using 25gr Hp with 22.8grs of V135
After checking Remington's powder next to VV's visually; I couldn't see any difference, and 22.8 grains filled the case to the same spot.

Back then you could buy the Remington 25gr HP bullet in bulk.. no more.

I loaded the load, ran it over a chronograph with Remington's factory loaded cartridge and both gave me 4040 fps respectfully and shot into the same hole.

I used that combo for a long time.. Could easily take a Yote's with most hit's out to 300 yards.. In the winter a frontal shot was a bit tougher. Now anything much out past 300 yards; it better be neck or head. Didn't mean the body shot(s) wouldn't kill them, it just didn't seem to put them down fast. 400 yards he's out of range.

Under 300 yards and it was lighting on Yotes.

On the chucks; I'd hit them at say 400 or a little more and they'll stand there, then just kinda fall over, or start to run then tail spin for awhile.

I've shot a ton of Yotes off cattle in the winter for friends that had ranches that I could shoot on.. that's where the Remington .17 cartridge makes it's money.

I'd stay with the .25gr weight bullet, and see if you could pick up a brand that's similar to the old Remington bullet.

Good luck

Bobcat, I too ran out of the bergers.

I have had great results with the Kindler Golds in the 17 Rem and 17 Tac. Right at 16 coyotes last winter with these bullets. I wont shoot anything else. If you would like I can send you some load data as well as more detailed performance on fur. 27gr and 30gr over RL-15.

I would even offer up a dozen or so if you wanted to try them before you buy a box of 200.

Let me know...

Brian

Thanks for the info. Yote I'll order a few 27s to try also talked to chan nagel and am going to get some of his 25s on the way.

As a side note; Vihtavvouori "VV" First edition book showing 22.8gr of VV135 @ 4040 fps, in Second edition book it's'..., 22.8grs of VV135 @ 4035 fps ??? In the Third edition it's back to 22.8grs VV135 @ 4040 fps, and the Fourth edition they drop the cartridge altogether.

Cheer's

For coyotes I've had much better results with hollow points than plastic tipped bullets. No complaints with the 25 garin Hornady HP.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.