17-223 ar-15?

Farmerbrown32

Hello everyone. I have been looking into the .17 centerfire calibers and am thinking about building an ar-15 chambered in 17-223. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber? I decided on a 17-223 solely because i have buckets of lc 223 brass. Should i go for a different caliber? Some say i can form 17-223 brass by just running a 223 brass with alot of lube into a 17-223 full length size die and viola! Is this true? First hand experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I may be able to help. I had one and really liked it. All I did was lube my 223 brass with imperial sizing wax and ran them through a hornady full length sizer. Out of the 200 I ran through only one came out with the neck messed up. I shot great with a charge of h4895 and 25 grain hornady hp. I was a turtle killing machine. The only reason I sold it was I had a 6mm creedmoor built and something had to go.

I may be able to help. I had one and really liked it. All I did was lube my 223 brass with imperial sizing wax and ran them through a hornady full length sizer. Out of the 200 I ran through only one came out with the neck messed up. I shot great with a charge of h4895 and 25 grain hornady hp. I was a turtle killing machine. The only reason I sold it was I had a 6mm creedmoor built and something had to go.

Man that sounds awesome! What make of barrel and what length and twist? Thats awesome about the sizing. I dont care if i screw a few of the cases up. Ever shoot any pdogs with it?

I'm don't know what the twist was. I bought it used on another forum. It had a 18" shilen barrel. It did shoot iddy bitty groups though. I never had the chance for a prairie dog hunt while I had it. I shot a few large birds with it and a couple of jack rabbits. Blew huge hole in them for such a tiny bullet. I bought it to go shoot prairie dogs but my hunt got cancelled and never had the chance again before I sold it. I wanted a 17 of some caliber and was like you had a bunch of 223 brass that's why I bought it. It couldn't be much easier to form brass. A bolt 17-223 is probably going to be my next build when I get my 221 furball built.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.