169gr Hammer Hunter in 7 STW

Montana73

Has anyone loaded the 169gr Hammer Hunter in their 7 STW and found success with a specific load? I have a 1-8 twist 26 inch barrel. If so, would you be so kind as to share your load data and what you found in fps on your load? Thanks in advance. I'd like to go with this data to Superior Ammunition to start building me an initial set of test loads for my rifle.

Used a 169HH on a 265lb boar out of a 7mm Wby, at 3105 fps. 221 yard shot. Massive internal damage as the pedals came off, base went clean through. Ran 40 yards and poof...dead. I'm very pleased with the bullet. Also my only experience with it.

Has anyone loaded the 169gr Hammer Hunter in their 7 STW and found success with a specific load? I have a 1-8 twist 26 inch barrel. If so, would you be so kind as to share your load data and what you found in fps on your load? Thanks in advance. I'd like to go with this data to Superior Ammunition to start building me an initial set of test loads for my rifle.
Give H-1000 between 80 and 82 a try or imr8133 between 82 and 84 with mag primers

You might use Barnes Bullets load data as a start since they are a monolithic bullet as well. I use the 143 Hammer in my STW but I have a 9 twist barrel. The 169 will be a beast no doubt.

Some have said a load for 175gr bullets will work to push 169gr Hammer Hunters due to Hammer reduced pressure. Does this seem right for Hammer loaders?

I use hammers in my .300 win mag. As a very general rule it seems that you can use cup and core loads from the next weight class up. For instance I'm running the 199 hammer with H1000 using 180 nosler load data.

I use hammers in my .300 win mag. As a very general rule it seems that you can use cup and core loads from the next weight class up. For instance I'm running the 199 hammer with H1000 using 180 nosler load data.

So you are opining that you could take data for say the Barnes TSX 160gr and use it as a starting point for the 169gr Hammer Hunter? Or maybe the TSX 150 gr?

So you are opining that you could take data for say the Barnes TSX 160gr and use it as a starting point for the 169gr Hammer Hunter? Or maybe the TSX 150 gr?
Ya. Since Barnes generally run with higher pressures I'd say the 160 gr Barnes data would work as a good starting point for a 169 hammer. Steve said to use nosler data for the same weight class as a starter. Just start with the 160gr low end charge weights then run it up to pressure and back off a couple grains and shoot a group.

I've not used the 169 hammer bullet, but 168 match kings in front of 75 gr of r-25. I've since moved to R-26 and dabbling with R-33 using 175 & 190 gr matrix hunting bullets. I need to bring it to my next Texas pig hunt. Tall stands and feeders on timers

I run the 143 & 177 gr Hammer Hunters using RL26. Let me know if you want my load data. And,somewhere around 80 gr should be just fine with H1000

Recent Posts