169 Hammer vs 180 VLD vs 195 EOL. Proven 7mm Loads.

Huntnful, how do you think they'd do (the different Hammer bullets) at a faster velocity? I'm running the 180g Bergers at 3350 fps and the 195's at roughly 3275 fps @ 780' elevation out of my gun. I was running the 175g Sierra Matchkings at 3495 fps, those were the accuracy node fps, I could push them faster but the accuracy wasn't there.
Good afternoon sir. I also have one of Kirby's 7-AM's. Definitely a gun for an ego trip. ;) We did some initial workups on multiple projos and here's a report out of a 26" Bartlein Carbon MOD 400 5R 8tw:

169 Hammer Hunter w/97.0 Retumbo = 3,520 fps *MAX - pressure signs* (accuracy load was 96 gr @ 3,495 fps)
172 Absolute Hammer w/98.0 Retumbo = 3,532 fps *MAX - pressure signs* (accuracy load was 96 gr @ 3,393 fps)

And for reference:
150 Badlands BD-2's w/107.0 RL-33 = 3711 fps (RL-33) (accuracy load)
195 Berger EOL w/100.0 RL-33 = 3,300 fps (accuracy load)

Good afternoon sir. I also have one of Kirby's 7-AM's. Definitely a gun for an ego trip. ;) We did some initial workups on multiple projos and here's a report out of a 26" Bartlein Carbon MOD 400 5R 8tw:

169 Hammer Hunter w/97.0 Retumbo = 3,520 fps *MAX - pressure signs* (accuracy load was 96 gr @ 3,495 fps)
172 Absolute Hammer w/98.0 Retumbo = 3,532 fps *MAX - pressure signs* (accuracy load was 96 gr @ 3,393 fps)

And for reference:
150 Badlands BD-2's w/107.0 RL-33 = 3711 fps (RL-33) (accuracy load)
195 Berger EOL w/100.0 RL-33 = 3,300 fps (accuracy load)
These numbers are absolutely crazy! I love it 🙌🏼 That load with the Badlands and their high BC for weight has got to be one flat shooting MF

I have a 28 Nosler that I will be testing the Hammer Hunters, mine has a 1:8 twist barrel and you mentioned you could not get the 177HH to stabilize? What is your twist? I am wondering if purchasing the 177 would be a waste or just try the 169 HH.
My experience with these monos is that you're way better off over-stabilizing than running them marginal. You'll benefit from higher velocity. It'd take awhile for the 177's to catch up. My humble opinion.

My cow elk at 708 yds had a silver dollar sized exit with the 180g Berger. DRT. Coyote at 867 yds was a mess. Most of the insides were outside.

I am afraid to shoot any game animals with them out of the 7mm AM at less than 300 yds. Same with the 195's, worried that they will act more like a varmint bullet than a big game bullet. Had a bad (what I consider bad) experience with a 115 NBT @ 80 yds in a .257 Wby Mag. Dead deer, but no blood trail for the first 80 yds. No exit. Good thing there was snow, plus I watched it fall over. Switched to Barnes in that since then.
Yes, the 7-AM is hard on bullets. With my 8tw, it seemed wiser to stick with the monos for hunting when you don't know if your shot will be near or far. Mine is still fresh off the press so we will be doing more testing on bullets in the coming months. I like the 195 EOL, but the way those BD-2's are running, it's hard to argue with them. Also want to explore cleaner & more temp stable powders. The RL-33 does well in these big cases, but a little dirty and over the summer here I've seen some velocity spikes in the heat - talking close to 3,800 fps with 107.0 / 150 BD-2's - heavy bolt & ejector swipe. That scares me with this much powder in play. Safe is ALWAYS better.

These numbers are absolutely crazy! I love it 🙌🏼 That load with the Badlands and their high BC for weight has got to be one flat shooting MF
Yes, she's a laser, and a lot of fun to shoot. Gotta take everything slow though, or you'll toast a barrel. Good test for Bartlein's harder 400 MOD SS. Haven't tried it on game yet, but based on some of the hillbilly experiments we've done so far, it'll be absolutely terminally devastating on game. Stay tuned. Or maybe watch your six. Some game splatter might be landing someplace near you. 🤠

Because I am way over powder charge and don't want to be responsible for someone else
Just be careful bud. If truth is on your side here, in reality you're playing with fire and "truth" might ruin you or your rifle. Not that it matters to me whether or not your velocity is as claimed, for the sake of trust and credibility it's only fair to post some specifics to support claims that are made. Most of the guys on this forum are rather accomplished shooters and handloaders who know what they are doing. I posted some high charges for the Hammers on my post of loads for my 7-AM, but included a note about MAX - pressure signs and also listed the accuracy, final load we went with. I did my part to contribute in a hopefully useful way by providing usable data for reference, but also with caution markers. You could do the same.

Just be careful bud. If truth is on your side here, in reality you're playing with fire and "truth" might ruin you or your rifle. Not that it matters to me whether or not your velocity is as claimed, for the sake of trust and credibility it's only fair to post some specifics to support claims that are made. Most of the guys on this forum are rather accomplished shooters and handloaders who know what they are doing. I posted some high charges for the Hammers on my post of loads for my 7-AM, but included a note about MAX - pressure signs and also listed the accuracy, final load we went with. I did my part to contribute in a hopefully useful way by providing usable data for reference, but also with caution markers. You could do the same.
100%. Your post was informative and an had Max limitations stated and what not. This is a long range hunting forum, not a "first time reloading trying to blow a rifle up" forum lol. I just like the data and statistics backing these numbers up. It's intriguing and could lead to future build specifications for myself and others! What is the parent case of the 7 AM and what are your rifle specs?! Any pics of the rifle?!

Sure. The 7-AM is based off the 338 Lapua Improved case. https://apsrifles.com/Allen_Magnum_Wildcats.html

Kirby built mine:
APS Stalker Hunter (Defiance) receiver
Bartlein #4 carbon wrapped 26" barrel (400 MOD, 5R, 8tw)
Small PK muzzle brake
Gunwerks Magnus Carbon Tan stock
Jewell trigger
HS Precision Detachable Magazine

Attachments

• 7 Allen Mag - Stalker 2.jpeg
    7 Allen Mag - Stalker 2.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 7 Allen Mag - Stalker.jpeg
    7 Allen Mag - Stalker.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71
100%. Your post was informative and an had Max limitations stated and what not. This is a long range hunting forum, not a "first time reloading trying to blow a rifle up" forum lol. I just like the data and statistics backing these numbers up. It's intriguing and could lead to future build specifications for myself and others! What is the parent case of the 7 AM and what are your rifle specs?! Any pics of the rifle?!
338 laupa is the parent case. Here's more information on the Kirby's.

Sure. The 7-AM is based off the 338 Lapua Improved case. https://apsrifles.com/Allen_Magnum_Wildcats.html

Kirby built mine:
APS Stalker Hunter (Defiance) receiver
Bartlein #4 carbon wrapped 26" barrel (400 MOD, 5R, 8tw)
Small PK muzzle brake
Gunwerks Magnus Carbon Tan stock
Jewell trigger
HS Precision Detachable Magazine
Gorgeous rifle. I have him building me a 338 am right now.

Recent Posts