168gr vs 178gr In a Shorter Barrel

Yup,.. 41.5 and 41.7 are,.. "Money" Group's !
Adjust your scope to BE,.. Left of Center, slightly as MOST Rifles have a Rt hand, Twist Bbl and will "Drift" the bullets, Further Right at, longer Distances and should be, Verified at, 200 or, 300 yards.
Great job ! Load, a bunch, "Verify" your scope out to, YOUR Max Distance and practice,.. "Field Positions" !
NICE, Shooting !

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I think my 41.7gr load might be the ticket, there's an errant shot there because the guys next to me suddenly started rattling off rounds in a mag dump as I was pulling the trigger.

I did 5 groups from 40.5-42 gr and then did single pressure load tests up to 43.2gr. 43.2 was the point I was getting pressure warnings on the brass and a bit flattened primers.

I loaded up another set of groups to test at 41.7 (to confirm), 42.5, and 43.1 just to see if it could shrink.

We forgot the Chrono, so that stinks, but the Hornady book says 41.7 should be pushing about 2550, I think.

View attachment 279229
Very nice. When Varget comes available give it a try maybe as I think you'll get similar accuracy and more velocity.

Very nice. When Varget comes available give it a try maybe as I think you'll get similar accuracy and more velocity.
I actually have 3lb of Varget, but as I can find IMR 4064 on occasion, and have yet to see Varget in 4 months, I've just gone with 4064, since I have "quite" a bit of it. 😉

A second question... How much velocity so I need with the 178gr ELD-Ms? At 2550 muzzle velocity, I hit 1483fps at 800 yards. I'm looking to hunt larger game.

I actually have 3lb of Varget, but as I can find IMR 4064 on occasion, and have yet to see Varget in 4 months, I've just gone with 4064, since I have "quite" a bit of it. 😉

A second question... How much velocity so I need with the 178gr ELD-Ms? At 2550 muzzle velocity, I hit 1483fps at 800 yards. I'm looking to hunt larger game.
My father shot a small Coues buck at 691 with a 178 A-Max and didn't get much expansion but did get pass through. Starting velocity on that load was around 2750 from a 24" barrel. Based on that experience I would stay within 500 yards. The A-Max which they don't make anymore is the same exact bullet as the ELDM with the exception of the improved tip, per Hornady tech I spoke with.

My father shot a small Coues buck at 691 with a 178 A-Max and didn't get much expansion but did get pass through. Starting velocity on that load was around 2750 from a 24" barrel. Based on that experience I would stay within 500 yards. The A-Max which they don't make anymore is the same exact bullet as the ELDM with the exception of the improved tip, per Hornady tech I spoke with.
That's a little disappointing, if I got my hands on ELD-X, do you think that would make a difference at 800?

I suppose I can't really complain, I can stalk if I need to. Crept up on a big buck to within 25 yards from 250, I just want to outdo my friends, haha

That's a little disappointing, if I got my hands on ELD-X, do you think that would make a difference at 800?

I suppose I can't really complain, I can stalk if I need to. Crept up on a big buck to within 25 yards from 250, I just want to outdo my friends, haha
I would say no. I think you'd really be pushing it with the 308 at 800 yards. Minimum velocity rating for proper expansion on the 178 ELDX is 1800FPS.

Last edited:
Chrono your Load and wherever it "hits", 1800 FPS, IS, about, the "End Game' on MOST of the bigger, Expanding Bullets for Elk !
Plug your Bullets,.. BC, Weight, approx. Temp / Elevation, where Hunting, etc. into, a Ballistic Calculator ( Hornady or Berger )
I personally use, 2,000 FPS as, the END of my .270 WSM's,.. . "Reach" !
The A-Maxes & ELD-M's, WILL, Mushroom better than,.. the ELD-X's !
My son put 3 of those buggers into, an 6x 6, nice sized, Elk at, 250 yards,.. YIKES !
He's switching over to,.. 168 gr. Berger, HVLD's !
STAY with, the Load / Bullet you,.. HAVE !