168gr smk on elk?

stevescg80

Going to go to oklahooma to shoot a cow elk in two weeks was thinking of using my 300 win and the matchkings shots will be 400-600 yds

Why the question?

If that's what you are going to use, that's what you are going to use.

Put it in the right spot and it'll do the job. Make a bad hit and .......... gloom, despair, and some trudging will be in order.;)

what Roy said , if thats what your set on shooting then thats what your gonna shoot.
are their better choices , yes , will that bullet kill yes are their more risk , yes.

If I were you I'd shoot a 175gr Match King , its got better ballistics a bit more sectional density (longer) which will help keep it from blowing up.

as long as you don't try to shoot from the back end and expect to get to the lungs then you should be ok , that front shoulder will likely be a bad shot though it MIGHT anchor the animal from spine shock but I would not rely on the high shoulder shot for a meat animal. Put it through her lungs and you should be fine

It will be lungs or heart and broadside only just wondering if anyone here has used this bullet gun will shoot 3" groups at 600 all day long its my go to gun and its a cull hunt on a big ranch in southern oklahoma

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.