168gr barnes triple shock match bullet

G

This is my first post on the site.
Been looking at some of the information provided here. Great stuff!

I have been using 165gr Ballistic tips but want to use a tougher bullet.

I was shooting the 165gr ballistic tips out of my .300win mag at 3400fps.
Hopefully I can get about the same velocity out of the triple shocks.

Have any of you tried these 168gr triple shocks? Barnes is saying they are a match grade bullet.
How was the accuracy and long range performance?

I have obtained excellent accuracy in two rifles, equivalent to match bullets, using the 168 TSX at 600 yards. No experience with this one long range.

The Barnes TSX bullets are a definate improvement over the conventional X bullets from a copper fouling standpoint.

Like the X coated bullets they tend to shoot quite differently from other Barnes bullets. In my experience some rifles prefer them and others hate em'. You'll just have to give them a try.

The Nosler 200gr Accubond is a new bonded-core bullet that has already earned a reputation for fine accuracy in a wide variety of guns. If you don't mind shooting the 200's, you may want to give them a whirl too.

VH

notoofar...I have obtained pretty good velocity from a .300WM using RL22, and a 168gr. TSX. My fastest load to date that was chronyed was 3250fps. And accuracy was about a 1/2in @ 100yds, 5 shot group.

I loaded 79.5gr. of RL22. Which is not "hot" by any means. But, accuracy started falling apart after 79.5gr..sakofan..

[ 01-30-2004: Message edited by: sakofan ]

dI'm shooting almost the same load as sakofan. 79 grains of R22, but I have a 26 inch barrel and am getting 3350 fps with 165 grain Ballistic Tips. Because the Tripple shock is longer it takes up some space in the case and raises breach pressure. The same load with Tripple shock gives me 3425 fps. The group is great between .3 and .4 inches. The Accubond is out in 180 grain now. I like the 165 grain Swift Scirocco, if you open to suggestions I would say give it a try. It groups as well as Ballisti Tips, has a very heavy jacket, and like the Accubond is a bonded bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.