168 vs 208gr in 300 WSM

dk17hmr

Im having a problem getting any group I can proudly say I shot with my 300 wsm and 208gr A-Max, I cant seem to get speed out of them and they are staying in about 3/4 MOA right now, however with 168gr A-Max running at book max I am getting desent speed and 1/4MOA groups. I know the 168s are going to slow down quicker than the 208s and therefor lack the knock down power at extended ranges. But for 1000 yards shooting or possibly longer on paper am I going to notice a difference?

I really want to use the 208s because I like the bullet but the 168's are grouping alot better. I dont know what to do.

My rig
IMG_0415.jpg

There isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to get the 208 to shoot better...sounds like you just need to do a bit more "tuning" with it. It will definitely out perforn the 168 at distances past 800.

i know what you mean dk17hmr. I am also shooting the (300wsm) 168s (SMKs) and are shooting them superb. .3" at 100, <3"at 550, and 11"-15" at 1012 in a pretty much stock gun. I however have not tried to shoot the 208s but i have some and im not sure if i should try with the way the 168s are shooting.

Depending on the setup of the gun you may not have enough case capacity to get the most out of the 208s. You could try 200s or 180s, either will outshoot the 168s ballistically.

168s are okay for paper at 1000, the 308 guys do it with less velocity. You're going to be light for game though.

Im having a problem getting any group I can proudly say I shot with my 300 wsm and 208gr A-Max, I cant seem to get speed out of them and they are staying in about 3/4 MOA right now, however with 168gr A-Max running at book max I am getting desent speed and 1/4MOA groups. I know the 168s are going to slow down quicker than the 208s and therefor lack the knock down power at extended ranges. But for 1000 yards shooting or possibly longer on paper am I going to notice a difference?

I really want to use the 208s because I like the bullet but the 168's are grouping alot better. I dont know what to do.

My rig

Just one question at what range are you testing at?

I am grouping mainly at 300 yards. I generally test loads at 225 yards. I guess I should test at 500-600 yards and just see.

The rifle has a Krieger 1:10 twist only 24" long tube, seems to shoot slow with heavier bullets. The 208's were only going about 2650fps where the groups were tightest.

I am neck turning and uniforming the flash hole. Although it is not a tight neck gun it did improve grouping.

I can seat the 208's out to 3.090" and be just shy of the lands.

Went from Winchester Large Rifle to Remington 9 1/2's, groups didnt change much.

I have heard that 178gr A-Max would be better, but looking at the BC of the 2 bullets there isnt much of a difference.....not like the 208.

I think it is obvious that I need to build a rifle for shooting the 208. :D

Not using magnum primers because nothing else I shoot requires magnum primers......didnt see the need to have more stuff on my shelf. I am not using ball powders so is there really a need for them?

How much would magnum primers change things?

Not using magnum primers because nothing else I shoot requires magnum primers......didnt see the need to have more stuff on my shelf.
By your own admission, this rifle does "require" them. That is a lot of powder to ignite before your bullet reaches the end of that, (relatively short,) 24" tube.

I am not using ball powders so is there really a need for them?

How much would magnum primers change things?

As soon as I saw your primer choice, I knew all of your questions had been answered.

Paint me weird but, more primers on my shelf is a wonderful thing! I'd buy the correct primers, then give them a try over a chronograph.

I agree with Justgoto's recommendations! Different types and brands of primers affect the pressure generated by the cartridge. Changing from standard to magnum primers may substantially raise the maximum average pressure of the cartridge - a change that might be required to obtain your reloading goal (even though you are not using a ball powder).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.