168 grain Berger VLD-H performance?

I have shot plenty of animals with the berger vld and have been impressed every time from 89yds out to 600yds. I shot and elk with a 140 berger out of my 6.5 at 300yds and it never moved after the first shot. I do like taking the high shoulder shot so that might have a lot to do with it and I have shot several with my 7mm with the 168berger with the same results. But that's my experience maybe I'm getting lucky??

Shot a big boar at ~200 or so. Solid hit behind the shoulder. Not a drop of blood and I couldn't find him.

shot a sow later (head shot).

nervous about taking a body shot

update 11/16
Shot a doe at ~150 slight quartering
Bullet entered two inches back of the scapula. 308 sized entrance. About nickel sized exit. Part of the bullet made a right turn and blew out the guts; and the other part flew straight and exited.

this doe ran about 150 yards through the woods with a spotty blood trail. After examining the cavity; found that the lungs had minimal bruising and a slightly larger than 308 hole through both.

Last edited:
I have mixed feeling about the VDL. They shoot very accurately, true, but I have lost two nice bucks (white tail) because of no blood trail. Buck 1 - Looked for hours, nada, he was found a week later half a mile away. 220 yard shot 308. The other one was 100 yard shot with 300 win mag. penciled him, put a dog on him and chased him for miles. never recovered. Last night in my climber, I shot an 80 lb. doe at 30 yards (6.5 creedmoor), no exit wound, the bullet grenaded inside her. she rolled when I shot, then took off, ran 50 yards into the thick stuff. took a little while to find her, again NO BLOOD TRAIL. The bullet did its job this time, but that close I would have though it would have an exit wound. Hunting in the thick stuff in the South Carolina lowcountry, if you don't drop them on the corn, a blood trail is pretty important. I know all the long range experts will say "shoot em in the right place, you will not have a problem", well it is easy to shoot clovers off of a bench, not so easy 20' in the air only attached to a pine tree with a little climber, and they don't always show up where you want them to come out. I am still shooting them, I guess because I drank the VDL koolaid and bought a bunch of ammo...….

LOL :D

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.