168 grain Berger VLD-H performance?

JA1989

Hey guys, looking for some reviews. I've been hunting for years and am now venturing into longer range hunting, 500-1000 yards. Shooting a custom build .280 Ackley improved, my best load for this gun is a 168 grain Berger VLD-H. When I do my part it will shoot .5-.75 moa out to 1000. However, I have little hunting experience with this bullet. The few deer I've shot with it have been at 300 yards or less, and all have ran from 40-125 yards after the shot with exit wounds and sparse blood trails. Performance has not exactly blown me away. Looking to get reviews from others on this bullet. Thanks

Hey guys, looking for some reviews. I've been hunting for years and am now venturing into longer range hunting, 500-1000 yards. Shooting a custom build .280 Ackley improved, my best load for this gun is a 168 grain Berger VLD-H. When I do my part it will shoot .5-.75 moa out to 1000. However, I have little hunting experience with this bullet. The few deer I've shot with it have been at 300 yards or less, and all have ran from 40-125 yards after the shot with exit wounds and sparse blood trails. Performance has not exactly blown me away. Looking to get reviews from others on this bullet. Thanks
My cousin shot 168 vlds in his 7 RM into several elk in Lewistown, Mt and was less than impressed!
I cant vouch that the tips were not damaged or plugged, but thats was his story.

I am reluctant to comment on these VLD threads because I have read many reports of great real world performance, but... two years ago I put three 168 grain VLDs through a small bull elk. All great shots. He ran a little ways before piling up and he had three holes in him the exit no larger than the entrance. All three penciled through. This was 250 yds and a mild load 2800 mv. I have chalked this up to maybe having a bad batch, or that I didn't drill them out, given what I continue to read here about how great they are. I gave up on them, which is a disappointment because they shot better than anything else.

I am reluctant to comment on these VLD threads because I have read many reports of great real world performance, but... two years ago I put three 168 grain VLDs through a small bull elk. All great shots. He ran a little ways before piling up and he had three holes in him the exit no larger than the entrance. All three penciled through. This was 250 yds and a mild load 2800 mv. I have chalked this up to maybe having a bad batch, or that I didn't drill them out, given what I continue to read here about how great they are. I gave up on them, which is a disappointment because they shot better than anything else.
EXACTLY my cousins experience!

I have a client that shoots them out of his 280ai and his 284 win. Both have performed picture perfect on his 2 bulls. He is a fan of shoulder shots, puts it right through the thick part of the blade and they basically fall right over.

I have a client that shoots them out of his 280ai and his 284 win. Both have performed picture perfect on his 2 bulls. He is a fan of shoulder shots, puts it right through the thick part of the blade and they basically fall right over.
That I believe. Its when you dont hit the shoulder that Im skeptical.

From what I understand, I believe the bullet was designed for shoulder shots, which is what Berger recommends. I have a hard time transitioning away from the behind the shoulder shot I grew up on

I've used them in my 284 running at 2803fps. Killed several deer quite well and last year a cow at 919 yards high shoulder drt. But I've used Bergers in other calibers as well and with mixed results. I like exits and blood trails. Yes they are accurate but this year we went to bonded bullets and the wounds and blood trails are outstanding and one cup and core which produced the same as bonded. That's 6 animals so far this year

I only use 168 vld berger for hunting 11 elk I mule deer all drop if you do your part I have coopers and Remington all shoot 3/4 or less out of these guns that what 4 of us guys use were not changing

I have used this bullet out of a Lila barreled Rem 700 for many years. The only one shot kill on an elk that I have had was using this very bullet. I am a huge fan. I also appreciate that this bullet has reduced the ruined meat component significantly.

Maybe Apples to Oranges, but i went to Berger Hybrids in the .338 and it tightened my group up.
Used the load on Cow Elk with "pencil hole" results (same size in and out).
Tried the Hybrid Hunters and got stellar results. .338 entrance hole and about 5" exit. And no change of point of impact!
Dont have a .284 for this particular comparison but thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

I have mixed feeling about the VDL. They shoot very accurately, true, but I have lost two nice bucks (white tail) because of no blood trail. Buck 1 - Looked for hours, nada, he was found a week later half a mile away. 220 yard shot 308. The other one was 100 yard shot with 300 win mag. penciled him, put a dog on him and chased him for miles. never recovered. Last night in my climber, I shot an 80 lb. doe at 30 yards (6.5 creedmoor), no exit wound, the bullet grenaded inside her. she rolled when I shot, then took off, ran 50 yards into the thick stuff. took a little while to find her, again NO BLOOD TRAIL. The bullet did its job this time, but that close I would have though it would have an exit wound. Hunting in the thick stuff in the South Carolina lowcountry, if you don't drop them on the corn, a blood trail is pretty important. I know all the long range experts will say "shoot em in the right place, you will not have a problem", well it is easy to shoot clovers off of a bench, not so easy 20' in the air only attached to a pine tree with a little climber, and they don't always show up where you want them to come out. I am still shooting them, I guess because I drank the VDL koolaid and bought a bunch of ammo...….

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.