168 AMAXs, as good as MKs?

jcpython357

I know you LR guys are using these bullets, I'd like to try them also, in my 308, so I ordered some last nite, also have some 168MKs in my basement, between these bullets, does one mushroom(RE: perform), better than the other on deer size game, if you had to choose, which one would you go with? Flip a coin? BTW, were talking out to 600yds. Jay

Jay,
Let the rifle tell you which is better. Accuracy translates into shot placement. Put the bullet in the proper spot and the deer will drop.
Later,
Chris
PS Past 600, forget 168 anything and use the 175's.

I've been shooting the new 168 gr AMAX match ammo out of my new Rock barrel on my .308. Groups are in the mid .3's., same as the blackhills match ammo. Fed. Match is in the .5 " range. Not bad, but my gun really likes the Horandy AMAX match ammo. I'm getting ready to hand load those bullets to see how much better I can get it.

I killed a hog with one last spring at 427 yards (according to my leica 1200 LRF). The bullet performed very well and dropped him where he stood. I hit him just below his ear and that part of his head was mush. So I was impressed with the bullet.

For those of you reloading amax, where did you find publication for reloading?

I bought a load note book from Hornady that did not include amax, sst or any of the new stuff. (even though it advertised to)

I asked about the full reloading manual at the gun shop, and was told it was not updated for the new stuff.

I would really like to load amax and give it a try. Input is appreciated.

amtmn
I have a copy of the Hornady 5th edition loading book and it has data for all AMAX. This is a two book set. I looked to make sure the 168 was is there.
I shoot the the 140, 6.5 A-MAX and they do a pretty good job. Only killed ground hogs no deer size animals yet.
The gun/bullet will hold 2,3's all day long.

From a trajectory standpoint, the amax is superior to the MK. Accuracy of course depends on the likes of the rifle. I can say that the Amax/SST bullets are very capable of shooting in the '1 and '2 if you have the equipment that likes them.

As to bullet performance, both will work very well at moderate impact speeds on game. My 308 shooting 155gr Amax blasted through 5/16" mild steel gong at 385yds (muzz vel 2850fps) so these bullets will hold together. Keep impact vel moderate!!!

You may find the SST to be the perfect bullet for you as they are tough enough for 3000fps impacts yet as accurate and flat shooting as the amax. The new Interbonds may fly even better - will test some in the near future.

As to loading, you can use any start data and work up. For the '08, varget is wonderful. for the '06, H4350 extreme is my favorite. For the Win mag, go H4831SC.

Enjoy...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.