165's in 300wm?

texas270

for shooting smaller game such as whitetails and hogs, will the 300 with a 1-10 twist perform? Wanting to try loading some Speer 165 BTSP, but reading that they are too short to be accurate out of a 1-10 twist? comments appreciated.

They will be fine. Some extra rate of twist above what the bullet requires for full stability will not hurt anything. Some lesser jacketed bullets can suffer in the high launch speed causing separation in flight.

Steve

I loaded some 165gr nosler flat base bullets up for barrel break in and was totally suprised how well they shot. Even now with seveal hundred rounds down the tube those same 165's shoot lights out. My barrel is a brux 1-10 26". They are not what I wanted to settle on so now i just use them as fouling rounds.

My brothers factory 300wm shoots 150s awesome....factory rounds shoot really well also....killed many of elk....

They will be fine. Some extra rate of twist above what the bullet requires for full stability will not hurt anything. Some lesser jacketed bullets can suffer in the high launch speed causing separation in flight.

Steve
thanks to each of you for the feedback, will give them a go.

165 grain bullets is what my buddy and I loaded for our 300WSM rifles, his a Browning A-bolt and mine a Tikka T3 Lite. We used 66 grains of IMR4350 and Hornady IL bullet and they were very accurate in my rifle and were a total tack driver in his Browning. He has shot several elk with this load and never retrieved a bullet from them. Most people think elk are almost bullet proof and that is just not so.

....Wanting to try loading some Speer 165 BTSP, but reading that they are too short to be accurate out of a 1-10 twist? comments appreciated.....
Set your own accuracy standard, based on your needs, and abilities, then go shoot, there may be other equipment based issues why they won't shoot, there may be bullets that shoot better, but twist in this situation I wouldn't stress about. I've loaded 165's in .300 Winchesters, and accuracy was always comparable with other loads in those rifles.

morning, bullet weight depends on barrel twist. I shoot the
barnes, berger, and sierra 160 range bullets. my custom
300WM, is custom made with Williams barrel. very, very accurate.
4831, 4831ssc, MRP powders. this caliber, chambering is
one of the best all around hunting cartridges. gbot tum.

That's one area I found Barnes 165's/168's to do really well. They penetrate completely, and have minimal tissue damage. Generally I've seen about softball size internal wound cavity with 1-2" exits on whitetail ranging from 150-200lbs dressed.

I know in 30 cal. rifles the 165 gr. bullet was the great go between the 150 gr. and the 180 gr. bullet back in the day. When I first started reloading for my 30/06's all I ever used was Sierra 165 gr. bullets and when I seen how well they worked on Deer and Bear I just stayed with them, never had an animal lost or go to far after being shot with the 165's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts