165G to light for 300 WM?

bob4

Been doing some reading on 300 WM loads. I have a bunch of 165g bt I'd like to load for deer. Saw a few say that that short a round doesn't stabilize well in a 1.10 twist. The 180g being a better choice.
I have a rem 700 26" barrel and 3 or 4 different slow burners to try.
Anyone agree with this or have a thought on the subject?

That being said I have a 270 for deer mostly but hate to go away with just one gun. It's a back-up plan just in case.

I use Sierra 165 hpbt gamekings, 26" barrel, 1 in 10 twist. Works well for me on Whitetail Deer... Groundhogs...

Hogginking

I shoot 210 Berger VLD's backed by 7828 SSC in my .300WM. Haven't finished load development, so can't give any data, but with a 1:10 twist, you'll be fine up to 230gr bullets.

I have a buddy that shoots a 165gr TSX out of his 300wm and kills deer and elk with it. I tried loading them in my 300wm but cant get them to group well. I had to move up to the 200gr LRX. I guess my gun just doesn't like the lighter bullets. his rifle and mine are 1:10 twist. good luck gun)

Although a 165gr pill will work, it will be surpassed downrange by either a 180gr or 200gr pill as they have better BC. Beyond 300yrds or so, even though they start out slower, either heavier pill is a better option, in fact, the 200gr weight is optimum for this cartridges velocity. Heavier bullets work too at longer ranges due to less drift, but at the expense of optimum velocity and energy.
Meat damage will be substantial and may prove excessive at close range with 165's. Not my first choice for deer or elk.

Cheers.
lightbulb

Been doing some reading on 300 WM loads. I have a bunch of 165g bt I'd like to load for deer. Saw a few say that that short a round doesn't stabilize well in a 1.10 twist. The 180g being a better choice.
I have a rem 700 26" barrel and 3 or 4 different slow burners to try.
Anyone agree with this or have a thought on the subject?

That being said I have a 270 for deer mostly but hate to go away with just one gun. It's a back-up plan just in case.

1 in 10 twist works great with bullets from 150 grain to 210 grains. the recoil goes up as bullet
weight goes up, so if you have a light weight rifle the 165s would be a good choice.

If you plan on very long shots (800 plus yards) the 180 to 210 grain bullets would be recommended.

J E CUSTOM

The lightest I ever shot out of my .300 Win Mags was 178 A-Max. Like others have mentioned, the 165 will work but my personal preference are the heavier higher BCs bullets. Most of the areas where I dear hunt are near elk country.

I've shot deer and antelope with 200 NAB within 300 yards with minimal meat damage; worst was a 2.5" or so exit hole ... blew a couple of ribs but that's it. :)

We always like the high bc bullets but the 165gr work great in the .300.
A bit more wind drift than the higher bc bullets, which I find is more important than trajectory in longrange shooting. But the 165 gr bullets work well.
We set some loads up for my buddy's 300 win with 165 NBT s since it correlated Almost perfectly to his Zeiss rapid z 800 reticle
On a Wyoming hunt he made first shot kills on antelope at 825yds,550yds, and a coyote at 400 yds.
It was in a savage 112bvss with a 1-10" twist.
In fact I don't think he has missed a shot yet with this setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.