162 grain SST

Anyone tried the 162 grain SST in the 7mmSTW?
Flying bomb. Use a good mono or bonded bullet for best performance in rounds that move at STW velocities or above. Great for predators and varmints if you just want them dead, but a poor choice for game.

A few years back all I had were some varmint loads using the SST and AMAX for killing coyotes and hogs when I spotted a really nice 12pt at about 425 in the brush. Thinking the SST was a stouter bullet I threw one in.

I carefully lined up the shot and made a perfect "Heart Lung Shot.

When I got to him I nearly threw up. There was a hole on the off side big enough to kick a soccer ball through and even the shoulder had been all but blown off.

Two friends own Weatherby mark 5's in 7 STW. Both went to Africa on a shared hunt for 6 plains game each. Their load was the 162g SST loaded at 3150 fps. Each man killed their animals including Kudu and Eland in one shot kills, DRT. They took along their taxidermist who was using a 338 WM loaded with 250g Partitions, and they had a devil of a time chasing some of his animals.

The PH was so impressed that he wrote an article in PH magazine that circulates through out Africa.

The 162g SST has been changed a few times over the years, hard to compare apples and apples. I do shoot the 154g SST on whitetails at 3150 fps in a Rem 7 Mag, always performed for me very well. I killed three bucks over several days while hunting out of an old farmhouse sitting at the old kitchen table. The Shots ranged from 300-325 yards under some persimmon trees out in a pasture at an old house place. Two of the bucks died on the spot, and one jumped straight up like a bottle rocket, and came down head first with his antlers sticking in the ground.

The 162 SST is a lot tougher than the 154g SST. I shot some hogs through both shoulders with the 162 sst in the 7 mag with 71g of Retumbo with a fed 215 at 3100 fps, and the hogs flopped on the spot.

We hunt in some thick stuff, so I like DRT with some meat damage vs trying to track and find after it gets dark.

Two friends own Weatherby mark 5's in 7 STW. Both went to Africa on a shared hunt for 6 plains game each. Their load was the 162g SST loaded at 3150 fps. Each man killed their animals including Kudu and Eland in one shot kills, DRT. They took along their taxidermist who was using a 338 WM loaded with 250g Partitions, and they had a devil of a time chasing some of his animals.

The PH was so impressed that he wrote an article in PH magazine that circulates through out Africa.

The 162g SST has been changed a few times over the years, hard to compare apples and apples. I do shoot the 154g SST on whitetails at 3150 fps in a Rem 7 Mag, always performed for me very well. I killed three bucks over several days while hunting out of an old farmhouse sitting at the old kitchen table. The Shots ranged from 300-325 yards under some persimmon trees out in a pasture at an old house place. Two of the bucks died on the spot, and one jumped straight up like a bottle rocket, and came down head first with his antlers sticking in the ground.

The 162 SST is a lot tougher than the 154g SST. I shot some hogs through both shoulders with the 162 sst in the 7 mag with 71g of Retumbo with a fed 215 at 3100 fps, and the hogs flopped on the spot.

We hunt in some thick stuff, so I like DRT with some meat damage vs trying to track and find after it gets dark.
That reminds of me the differences between Nosler ballistic tips…the 180 grain .30 cal bst is an entirely different animal than even the 168, totally different performance than what a mere 12 grains of weight difference would even account for.