162 Grain A Max

jmbn

I've got a .338 Win that I bought on sale 15 years ago and have never used. I've been intertaining myself by thinking about making it into a deer rifle, not too heavy to carry around, and a 26" barrel sounds about right; something adequate for a 600 yard, even tho the shooter probably isn't.

I've been reading about how the new short mags walk on water,especially in the 6.5 caliber, but I keep returning to the boring old 7MM Rem mag.

Part of the reason is when I look at Hornady's bullet list, the 162 A Max stands out because of a BC of 625, which is the highest that Nornady makes, by a considerable margin. Does anyone here have any comments about this bullet? Accurate enough for a 600 deer (blacktail/ AZ whitetail)? Will it stabilize in a 9" twist?
Will I have to seat it too deep to make it fit in a 3.38" magazine?

Any help would be appreciated.

jmbn

It is a great bullet, my favorite of all the factory offerings. Very accurate, good bc as you said, great expander on deer.

I took a mule deer at 690 yards with it a couple years ago. It should stailize with a 9 twist. Don't know about the magazine issue.

FWIW.. I recently had a 7Mag Sendero and seated to the lands the 162's would still fit in the magazine nicely.. d:^) JiNC

My sendero 7mag shot them into .3moa at 300yds. They opened up some bean munchers quite well last weekend. Great bullet.

I ordered a 28" 7mm barrel from Krieger with 9" twist also. I will chamber in 7mm rem mag. I hope it shoots the 162 gr A-max also. does anyone have any pet loads for this bullet?

Thanks very much for the comments. Re the magazine length, maybe I'll have to bite the bullet (!) and order a box and see how the length works out. The 162 has to be a long one.

jmbn

I shoot the 162 AMAX with an 11 twist and it shoots great, so does the 168 SMK.

7 MM RUM - 28 inch PacNor SuperMatch, 11 twist.

I shoot a 7mm Rem chambered in a Ruger M77 Mark 2. It absolutely loved the 162 A-max. I think the twis on that is only 1-9.5" or 9"

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.