162 ELD-Ms 3100 FPS?

General RE LEE

Got a box of 162 ELD-Ms I can load up. I noticed it had a slightly higher BC than the ELD-X

Will the ELD-M be too explosive on deer launched at 3100 FPS for shots under 200?

You should be able to push em a lot faster than 3100. I was getting considerably more than that out of a 7-300 Win Mag. They will definitely swarm when hitting bone under 200 yards, but I was getting pass throughs on broadside rib shots. I shot one facing me on purpose at 260 yards just to see what kinda penetration I would get. It took out 3 vertebrae between the shoulders, blew the top off of both lungs, and ended up somewhere in the liver area. About 18-20 inches of penetration.

I've used it on 2 mature nh bucks. Both shot under 100 yards. The first one hit the shoulder on the way in and completely detonated the other one I found the bullet in the hide on the off side and it weighed 62 grains. I will say the first one shot where bone was encountered the entry side of the ribcage was badly blood shot and most of it was unusable. So if hour going to use it then stay away from that shoulder. I will say though the first one was the most devested deer I've ever seen. The biggest chunk I could find of the heart and lungs was only the size of a quarter. The rest were liquid

The 162ELD-X is violently fragmenting at those speeds and distances also, if you stay off the shoulder it will kill very well. If you hit bigger bone you might not have a quick kill and meat damage is going to be tremendous. These bullets perform best at longer ranges and lower speeds. Would I shoot a deer with them? Yep, I would without hesitation, but 100% I would limit shots to the crease or slightly back and I would think twice if the exit was anywhere in the shoulder to reduce meat damage.

My all-time favorite whitetail load was my 7STW with the 162 A-Max bullet. Most dropped to the shot. The longest track was about 30yds. Shots to the shoulder were always DRT with only an occasional exit. Shots centered in the lungs (broadside) either dropped them or they had a very short run. I hit whitetails from about 100yds to 500yds with good results all the way around.

If you're worried about losing shoulder meat then I'd shoot for the crease. I never get enough meat out of a whitetail shoulder to be concerned with a little loss.