162 ELD-M performance

It's the same bullet as the A-MAX. Slightly higher BC.
I have never used a Hornady bullet for hunting, so I don't have much of an opinion. Most of my buddies do and they really liked both the A max and ELD M. I am actually just about to start working with the 162 ELD M for my 280 AI. Bullets should be here tomorrow.

Nice job, I have actually heard from most people that hunt with Hornady bullets that they prefer the ELDM over the X version. Nice buck and great job.
The ELDM has a thinner jacket than the ELDX and tends to perform better at longer ranges. Close range shots taken on game 200lbs or larger can meet too much resistance to initiate hydrostatic shock, resulting in slightly delayed killing. Shot placement is key at close ranges (you want lungs and no heavy bone). At around 2600 fps, the ELDM comes into its own and produces a good balance of wide wounding and penetration. It will perform down to 1600 fps.

I have never used a Hornady bullet for hunting, so I don't have much of an opinion. Most of my buddies do and they really liked both the A max and ELD M. I am actually just about to start working with the 162 ELD M for my 280 AI. Bullets should be here tomorrow.
I use the 162 Amax/ELD-M in my .284 hunting rifles. They work equally well. Excellent accuracy and great bullet performance. Not sure how the ELD-X bullets work, I never got around to trying them. I just hate leaving perfection for the unknown. The price is so good on the Hornady bullets as well, I see no reason to go anywhere else for my deer bullets.

I often thought of the ELDm in my 280ai. Right now running 143 HHs at 3180 and just switched over to the 168ABLR its only 2860 fps but accurate. I am hearing most failures with the ELDM and ABLRs is due to guys pushing them too hard? I have 0 exp with the ELDM and yet to shoot any critters with the ABLR but buddy swears by them in in 6.5 x284. Hope i can find out here in 3 weeks

I often thought of the ELDm in my 280ai. Right now running 143 HHs at 3180 and just switched over to the 168ABLR its only 2860 fps but accurate. I am hearing most failures with the ELDM and ABLRs is due to guys pushing them too hard? I have 0 exp with the ELDM and yet to shoot any critters with the ABLR but buddy swears by them in in 6.5 x284. Hope i can find out here in 3 weeks
I started using the 140 Amax on ground hogs. Ya, I know, ground hogs ? How's that compare to a big deer ? Well, shooting ground hogs at 1000-1400 yards with that bullets gives a very good comparison at those longer ranges seeing how the bullet opens and exits. They performed very well on big ground hogs at those extreme ranges enough for me to give them a try on whitetails. First deer shot was only 330 yards but the bullet entered and exited perfectly leaving the deer in the dirt without a step taken. Exited about an inch in size. Destroyed the back of the heart and vitals on its way thru. From that first deer to the last 330-725 yards, they've done great.

That's spectacular country, I hunted it for years, now I mostly hunt marmots up there. Elk in easier country down valley. The eld-m's and Berger HVLD's are my go-to varmint bullets. Heavy 7mm varieties have been very effective on marmots out to 1400 yds and on a 1098 yard bull. Though I've used them a few times I'm not so crazy about them for normal big game range; mostly 200 yds or less. I'm old school and look for deep penetration first.

When u say HVLDs are u meaning the hybrids? Only reason i ask I heard good things about them inna 6.5 saum which mine will be down soon. Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread

Update on the 162 eld-M ….

9 days solo in the Maroon Bells Wilderness - right up the road from my house. Hard to get Early season rifle tag above timberline wilderness hunt.

"SENT IT" 840 yards, 17º slope angle - I was at 10,700 buck was at 11,500 hiding in a southwest facing jungle. He gave me a quartering away shot and I slipped the 162 ELD M in my 7mm 08 between the last two ribs angling towards the off shoulder. Bullet entrance was a 2" hole under the hide - it destroyed virtually all vital organs except the heart. He made it 10 yards before piling up and zero meat loss from fragmentation. Ave. MV 2738 / ES 6
Congrats on all the above. PM Sent

Update on the 162 eld-M ….

9 days solo in the Maroon Bells Wilderness - right up the road from my house. Hard to get Early season rifle tag above timberline wilderness hunt.

"SENT IT" 840 yards, 17º slope angle - I was at 10,700 buck was at 11,500 hiding in a southwest facing jungle. He gave me a quartering away shot and I slipped the 162 ELD M in my 7mm 08 between the last two ribs angling towards the off shoulder. Bullet entrance was a 2" hole under the hide - it destroyed virtually all vital organs except the heart. He made it 10 yards before piling up and zero meat loss from fragmentation. Ave. MV 2738 / ES 6
That's awesome, I've always wanted to try the 162 eldm in my 7mm-08. That's what I call a sleeper round. What powder & barrel length are you running if you don't mind me asking? What's your cartridge over all length? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.