162 Amax load for 7mm-08?

Hunter700

Does any one have any recommendations for this combo? I want to try the Amax because of the higher BC,than the ballistic tips I am using now. Have also thought about the 168gr seirra mk,but according to my RCBS load program the Amax's BC is .625 the MK's is only .494. Any thoughts on wheather this is true have heard that seirra is a little conservative on their BC's. Would appreciate your input thanks. Hunter700

700, I was just e-mailing Carroll Pilant from Sierra yesterday on the subject of 708 and 150grMKs, he sent me all the load data for the round, so I'd like to pass it on to you if you like, the accuracy load for the 160gr is 39grs. of Viht N140, but 39grs. of Varget would work just as well from my experience with the powder. If you wanted to try the 168MK, accuracy load is again Viht 140 w/38.4grs. again Varget should work just as well with same amount, they're using Federal brass and 210M primers which I'd prefer not to use myself, I use Rem/Win. brass and 91/2 or CCI primers, Mike from Nosler said they got the best results from Win. primers, so I'll give em' a try, too. The A-MAX should be able to accept the same loads as the ones I mentioned, especially the 168MK since the bearing surface is approximatly the same. Right now I'm shooting a 150 Nosler BT in my Rem. S/S HS Precision sporter stock 708 on top of 39.5-40grs of Varget, which I see is right in line with what Sierra is getting with the powder(need to fire some verifying shots to decide which load to go with)and I'm seeing some very promising groups so far with that powder, although I've been contemplating going with an A-MAX or 150-168MK for LR stuff(700yds) I may try some of the VV powder just to see any accuracy difference, I haven't heard nothing bad about VV powders only good. Go for it! Let us all know how they shoot, I'll post my result also.
wink.gif
Jay.

Well, I tried out my 708 yesterday, not with A-MAXs, but with 150grBT on top of 39.5grs. Varget, CCI BR primers, Nickel brass, very good group of .402 for 5 shots, I'm very happy with the combo. I'd say 38grs.(Give or take .5gr.) of Varget with the 162 A-MAX would be a deadly combination in the 708 if you'd want to try that, Hunter700.
wink.gif
Jay

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.