16 pigs down

long450

I do not post a lot but I thought I would share my hunt from last week. I was hunting at my deer lease west of San Antonio TX, mostly for pigs. I ended up with 16 pigs, 1 coyote, and 2 raccoons. I am not mad at the pigs, but they come and eat all of the corn before the deer can get to it, so I was attempting to reduce the population. They were turned into buzzard bacon.
I shot the raccoons, coyote and half the pigs in the daylight, with the other half of the pigs being shot at night. off corn feeders, using thermal. I used enclosed stand, and open tripod (south Texas portable) and even sat in my 4 wheeler at one feeder. That stand at that feeder was locked so I had to sit in 4 wheeler.

The thermal sight ( Armasight Zeus) had an AR 243 WSSM with 95 gr Nosler partition on it . It is very accurate, but a little heavy and brass is limited so I have purchased a TBR , Tactical Brass Recovery system for it. Everything else was shot with 6.5 Grendel AR using either 123 Hornady SST or 125 Nosler partition and suppressor. The bullet performance was sufficient from all. I was hunting alone and went to the stands as early as 3 :15 am and stayed as late as 11:30 pm. It was a fun week

Last edited:
Very good! You need not be mad at the pigs to have a reason to kill them, even if they weren't eating your corn. Killing pigs benefits the local community. You won't find a sane rancher or farmer who would be upset with you for what you did. You might find a few jealous hunters, but that would be about it. Again, very good!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.