16.5” 308

Doesn't the leo/swat team have a department issued ammo? I would think that liability/attorneys would have certain specs for ammo.

Maybe you are in a smaller rural department that doesn't have those issues.
In my experience these "specs" will only come into play after an officer involved shooting. The rafter bats won't be in the weeds on the front end. The sniper unit needs to be well trained and keep up with current trends in LEO/SWAT tactics and equipment.

Do you homework on the round you are using for training and operationally. Have solid dope for both. Keep accurate round counts for your rifle and by god write training reports and after actions.

Fellas, it's been a while since I've been on, but I'm looking for some advice.

I have a Ruger Precision 308, 1:10 twist cut down to 16.5" w/ a 9" TX Silencer Co suppressor. The only reason I had it cut down was so it would fit in and around the truck better.

I am set to attend a LEO SWAT Sniper course in may. They require factory ammunition, no hand loads. I can hold really tight groups with 180gr hand loads. I've tried the Hornady match 178's. They're so/so, little over 1moa. The department rifle is a REM 700 18". It was shooting great when I first got it, but it has since gone to another shooter. He immediately started changing stuff to make it tacticool, now he can't even hold minute of barn door. So I'm going to use my personal instead, but I have little to no factory load data for 16.5".

I can't afford to buy a s#!+ load of different boxes to play with, plus there really ain't much on the shelves around here. I'll end up spending a fortune on shipping.
Has anyone had any luck with short barrels and factory loads?
I'm thinking about the Fed GM w/ 185g Bergers. Thoughts?

I know this seems silly, but I've gotten more knowledge from this forum than I have anywhere else.
I woukd strongly suggest you try the Hornady TAP (tactical and police) ammo. It should be available to you through the dept at a reasonable price. I have not found a 308 yet that doesn't love it. 3/4 moa or better every time. It's usually packed with 168 gr. Class bullets.

Oddly my handloads fit right into factory boxes...obviously only for a class.

Bud's gunshop has a pretty good selection of .308 match, mostly hornady, at their qualified professionals prices right now.

I have a Ruger Precision 308, 1:10 twist cut down to 16.5" w/ a 9" TX Silencer Co suppressor. The only reason I had it cut down was so it would fit in and around the truck better.

I am set to attend a LEO SWAT Sniper course in may. They require factory ammunition, no hand loads. I can hold really tight groups with 180gr hand loads. I've tried the Hornady match 178's. They're so/so, little over 1moa. The department rifle is a REM 700 18". It was shooting great when I first got it, but it has since gone to another shooter. He immediately started changing stuff to make it tacticool, now he can't even hold minute of barn door. So I'm going to use my personal instead, but I have little to no factory load data for 16.5".

I can't afford to buy a s#!+ load of different boxes to play with, plus there really ain't much on the shelves around here. I'll end up spending a fortune on shipping.

I know this seems silly, but I've gotten more knowledge from this forum than I have anywhere else.
I've had very good luck with 165 gr Sierra Tipped Game King in .308--loves the "20"short barrel.

Hornady used to sell a 110gr TAP --- it was killer accurate in my 16.5" semi auto.

I think its been discontinued though.

I train with what I hunt with--- it would probably be best for tactical training too.

If you are allowed to choose or even handload ( some departments don't allow)--- it might be helpful to know what your common distances and situations may call for..... how far? Ultra long? Short? Medium?
In an urban setting with others around? -- look for a bullet that doesn't have a whole lot of pass through potential -- more like a varmint style.( 110 TAP)
Glass or metal penetration needed? You'll need something more along the lines of an fbi/mil accepted bullet. ( mk319)

Problem is there are so many potential situations it's hard to pick a perfect bullet.

I know it doesn't have the best bc for long range but the federal 130 gr mk319 mod 0 sost ammo/bullet was a great compromise if you can find them-- lead filled nose for rapid expansion with a solid copper base for barrier penetration--- I'm not sure if its available anymore though--- you could ask your department if they can get them from federal or their ammo source--- they were very accurate too.

Doesn't the leo/swat team have a department issued ammo? I would think that liability/attorneys would have certain specs for ammo.

Maybe you are in a smaller rural department that doesn't have those issues.

From my professional experience, law enforcement litigation does not discriminate when it come to litigation!!! One of those cases where "Size (department) doesn't matter!!" And…I believe that the department ought to research, and issue department accepted and approved rounds for duty work. Give an attorney an inch and he'll take you for a $million!!

Try Federal Premium 165 gr Nosler Accubond. They have always printed sub MOA out of both of my .308's with 20 inch 1/10 twist barrels.

There was a lawsuit with SWAT using FMJ bullets, the 175 Sierras by the ACLU I believe. So all the departments had to switch to Hornady TAP. Accuracy was cut in half for most of the guys.

If you're punching paper use the FGMM

Or the 150's by Sierra, most 1000 yards use the tried and true 150! It's perfect for your setup

I have a rem 700 with a 16.5" barrel that shoots 150 gr. Hornady whitetails 1/2" groups.
Good enough for me to not care to reload for that gun.