15oz 22 pack rifle kit from Ruta Locura

mcseal2

I just got done installing and trying out the Ruta Locura kit I got in for a Crickett 22 rifle. It is a carbon fiber stock and barrel kit that uses the action from a Crickett or Chipmunk 22 youth rifle. I read about the kit in a recent issue of Petersen's hunting and after reading a couple reviews and seeing a You-tube video on them I decided to try one.

Here is the link for their website with pictures
Pack Rifle Kit

As you will see from the picture, the stock is minimal but it didn't seem to affect my shooting any with it. It was actually surprisingly comfortable. After getting it all put together I went out and sighted it in at 25 yards. I put up a paper target on my targetboard and rested over a round bale standing for the initial shots. The peep sight worked well, and the reference marks on the sight for windage and elevation made it easy to get dialed and referenced in case they should come loose. I like that the front sight comes to a sharp point to provide a more precise aiming point than many of the fiber optic sights common on 22's today. Once I got the sight-in done I shot several 25yd 3 shot groups at paper and 3D targets. They all stayed between 1/2 and 1", and most stayed under 3/4". Plenty good enough for me for a pack rifle with open sights on a breezy day. I then headed out on a short trip through the timber and shot from field positions, offhand and kneeling, at several tree knots or other marks. It continued to hit where it was supposed to during this test.

On the downside, the stock kit is expensive at $250. By the time you pick up a used Crickett and the kit you have the price of a 10-22 takedown in the rifle. It is not the sturdiest 22 you could ever buy, anything lightweight has it's drawbacks. I think it is plenty sturdy enough to last with some care in how it is packed and handled. Also the trigger on the Crickett sucks which makes trigger control critical in a rifle this light. Still with a careful squeeze it shoots where it's supposed to. It is lighter than most 22 pistols, and I can shoot it more accurately than I can any pistol. This 22 also takes down to a very compact size for packing. They make a scope mount for the Crickett action I may end up trying down the road. I think I could really make this little rifle shoot with my 1-4x Leupold on it. I also want to test the accuracy of the 22 subsonic ammo I have through this rifle, might make a great little quiet hunter.

Just got in from some more shooting with the little gun, this thing is starting to amaze me. Our apple tree produced more apples than us, the neighbors, and the deer can eat so I set some out as targets at various ranges. I've always seemed to shoot open sights better on 3D targets and I made some serious apple sauce out to 35yds. That's way more accuracy than I expected from a gun like this. Don't see myself scoping it now, it works fine as is. Can't wait to pack it coon hunting with the brother in law also, will definitely lighten the load and have both hands and shoulders free if I throw it in my little daypack.

What made you choose the tube kit vs the skelatonized kit?

The peep sights on those little rifles really do work well.

How is the trigger pull on the crickett? Have you tried to do any work to it?

Thanks for the review. I would like to do something like this in hmr or 22mag.

What made you choose the tube kit vs the skelatonized kit?

The skeletonized kit isn't yet available, and the tube works fine for me. It's truly way more comfortable than I ever imagined, and can be held really steady. Also it packs smaller and is 3oz lighter.

The peep sights on those little rifles really do work well.

Amazingly well, the tapered front sight is fine enough to really get a precise bead on a target while remaining durable it appears.

How is the trigger pull on the crickett? Have you tried to do any work to it?

No work yet, it sucks. Lots of creep and a fairly heavy pull. I can work with it for what I'm doing, but it would be nice to have it lighter. Everything else I shoot much has a 2-2.5lb trigger even my shotgun.

Thanks for the review. I would like to do something like this in hmr or 22mag.

No problem, hope it helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.