153gr Apex Afterburner .308 bullet

I'd like to see some typical muzzle velocities attained for popular cartridges with "ideal" powders.

I see they recommend using fast powers with full case fill using ttsx data and lee fcd---- BUT, once again, a brand new bullet design using not so typical load data and powders makes for a larger/longer reloading data learning curve.
It would be nice to see at least what powders achieved what speeds in manufacture reload testing so we have an idea where to start --- especially with today's scarcity and prices on reloading components

Also, if we had those "typical" muzzle velocities for popular cartridges, using the listed bc numbers we could crunch some theoretical ballistics data and see an example of drop/drift and "max hunting distances" for the suggested 1650 fps min expansion so we can compare these bullets to our known/more common hunting bullets.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some typical muzzle velocities attained for popular cartridges with "ideal" powders.

I see they recommend using fast powers with full case fill using ttsx data and lee fcd---- BUT, once again, a brand new bullet design using not so typical load data and powders makes for a larger/longer reloading data learning curve.
It would be nice to see at least what powders achieved what speeds in manufacture reload testing so we have an idea where to start --- especially with today's scarcity and prices on reloading components

Also, if we had those "typical" muzzle velocities for popular cartridges, using the listed bc numbers we could crunch some theoretical ballistics data and see an example of drop/drift and "max hunting distances" for the suggested 1650 fps min expansion so we can compare these bullets to our known/more common hunting bullets.
cohunt,
Please realize we are almost newer than new as we don't have inventory at the moment, so we will not have a vast database for different scenarios. However, our 153 gr has gone through extensive testing in our 300 Win Mag. This is my personal rifle. A NULA Model 28 which only has a 3.38" length magazine. It does have a 26" barrel, however. Anyone who knows Melvin would probably know how difficult it was to make him build the barrel that long, lol. It's my "world rifle" for lack of a better description. I take it pretty much everywhere I may go, regardless of whatever else comes with me.

For load development, we use the Pressure Trace II to validate pressure curves against each other (see under Mark's Bench for a little more detail on this). This gives us a peek into the chamber during the entire pressure event and has been enlightening during the development process. We knew we would get the question you asked fairly early, so we diversified across powders fairly extensively (during the worst powder availability time ever) to get a feel of what works, and what doesn't. We have never tried RL17 with this combo, but have been itching to if we can ever get our hands on some. Below are the general results in my specific rifle with Gunwerks (ADG) brass and Fed 215M primers, loaded to 3.37" OAL and uncalibrated pressure as measured with our Pressure Trace II. As a point of reference, Federal factory loads with the 180 gr Non-Typical pressure out at roughly 58.6 - 60.5 ksi in comparison with our system.

The following are not starting loads, and they are specific to my rifle. Work up using safe practices with your equipment.

1. IMR 4350 - 74.0 gr, avg vel 3362 fps, 60 ksi, Best performing powder, but a little stuffy for my taste at 74 grains. This is probably the powder to use in a higher volume, softer case like Norma. Right on a node.

2. H4350 - 73.0 gr, avg vel 3363 fps, 60.5 ksi, A little peakier curve than IMR, but just as consistent. Full case but not stuffy. This is the load I use. Right on a node.

3. Ramshot Hunter - 76.0 gr, avg vel 3371 fps, 61.4 ksi, Very little work done with this one, just a ramp up, but surprisingly very good results in accuracy and the pressure curve looks great. For those not adverse to a ball powder, this is one to try out.

4. Hybrid 100V - 73.0 gr, avg vel 3375 fps, 61.1 ksi, Very little work done here as well. Pressure curve looks great, but accuracy didn't look promising in the short stint. A bit of a surprise. More work could be done here to test to see if the accuracy issue was a fluke, but H4350 is too good to bother for me personally.

5. RL16 - 73 gr, avg vel varies oddly from 3390 - 3415 fps, 61 - 62 ksi, High temp has an acceptable curve, not as consistent as H or IMR, but okay. Mid temps create a secondary spike event with a HIGHER max pressure and velocity as well ( the higher vel was at mid temps). This totally throws the barrel timing off, and while groups are still okay, they are in a different place when temps change. For this high capacity light bullet scenario, this is a powder to avoid, unfortunately.

6. IMR 4451 - 72 gr, avg vel 3341 fps, 61.5 ksi, Very little work done here. Pressure curve is earlier than the others as this is showing to be a bit faster powder in general. Meters very well. Loads nicely too. Not quite 100% case fill, so this may appeal to many that prefer to stay in the high 90s in that regard.

7. VV N550 - 70.0 gr, avg vel 3374 fps, 62.6 ksi, Very little work done here, but prominent secondary spike and inconsistent ignition enough to get me to stop trying. Again, big case, light bullet probably is not a fit for this powder specifically.

8. SW Long Rifle - 68.0 gr, avg vel 3205 fps, 60.5 ksi, I had high hopes for this, but avoid this powder for this combo. It had large secondary spikes and strange behavior as pressure was increased. I stopped the work up sequence with this combo as it became dangerous and pulled all the remaining bullets. That's part of the beauty in the Pressure Trace II system in that I can see it coming before pressure signs actually start to show.

I hope this helps provide a benchmark you can work off of. As we mature (we need to get out of the womb first) we will obtain more data, and we know our customer base will certainly help with that as well. Thanks.

cohunt,
Please realize we are almost newer than new as we don't have inventory at the moment, so we will not have a vast database for different scenarios. However, our 153 gr has gone through extensive testing in our 300 Win Mag. This is my personal rifle. A NULA Model 28 which only has a 3.38" length magazine. It does have a 26" barrel, however. Anyone who knows Melvin would probably know how difficult it was to make him build the barrel that long, lol. It's my "world rifle" for lack of a better description. I take it pretty much everywhere I may go, regardless of whatever else comes with me.

For load development, we use the Pressure Trace II to validate pressure curves against each other (see under Mark's Bench for a little more detail on this). This gives us a peek into the chamber during the entire pressure event and has been enlightening during the development process. We knew we would get the question you asked fairly early, so we diversified across powders fairly extensively (during the worst powder availability time ever) to get a feel of what works, and what doesn't. We have never tried RL17 with this combo, but have been itching to if we can ever get our hands on some. Below are the general results in my specific rifle with Gunwerks (ADG) brass and Fed 215M primers, loaded to 3.37" OAL and uncalibrated pressure as measured with our Pressure Trace II. As a point of reference, Federal factory loads with the 180 gr Non-Typical pressure out at roughly 58.6 - 60.5 ksi in comparison with our system.

The following are not starting loads, and they are specific to my rifle. Work up using safe practices with your equipment.

1. IMR 4350 - 74.0 gr, avg vel 3362 fps, 60 ksi, Best performing powder, but a little stuffy for my taste at 74 grains. This is probably the powder to use in a higher volume, softer case like Norma. Right on a node.

2. H4350 - 73.0 gr, avg vel 3363 fps, 60.5 ksi, A little peakier curve than IMR, but just as consistent. Full case but not stuffy. This is the load I use. Right on a node.

3. Ramshot Hunter - 76.0 gr, avg vel 3371 fps, 61.4 ksi, Very little work done with this one, just a ramp up, but surprisingly very good results in accuracy and the pressure curve looks great. For those not adverse to a ball powder, this is one to try out.

4. Hybrid 100V - 73.0 gr, avg vel 3375 fps, 61.1 ksi, Very little work done here as well. Pressure curve looks great, but accuracy didn't look promising in the short stint. A bit of a surprise. More work could be done here to test to see if the accuracy issue was a fluke, but H4350 is too good to bother for me personally.

5. RL16 - 73 gr, avg vel varies oddly from 3390 - 3415 fps, 61 - 62 ksi, High temp has an acceptable curve, not as consistent as H or IMR, but okay. Mid temps create a secondary spike event with a HIGHER max pressure and velocity as well ( the higher vel was at mid temps). This totally throws the barrel timing off, and while groups are still okay, they are in a different place when temps change. For this high capacity light bullet scenario, this is a powder to avoid, unfortunately.

6. IMR 4451 - 72 gr, avg vel 3341 fps, 61.5 ksi, Very little work done here. Pressure curve is earlier than the others as this is showing to be a bit faster powder in general. Meters very well. Loads nicely too. Not quite 100% case fill, so this may appeal to many that prefer to stay in the high 90s in that regard.

7. VV N550 - 70.0 gr, avg vel 3374 fps, 62.6 ksi, Very little work done here, but prominent secondary spike and inconsistent ignition enough to get me to stop trying. Again, big case, light bullet probably is not a fit for this powder specifically.

8. SW Long Rifle - 68.0 gr, avg vel 3205 fps, 60.5 ksi, I had high hopes for this, but avoid this powder for this combo. It had large secondary spikes and strange behavior as pressure was increased. I stopped the work up sequence with this combo as it became dangerous and pulled all the remaining bullets. That's part of the beauty in the Pressure Trace II system in that I can see it coming before pressure signs actually start to show.

I hope this helps provide a benchmark you can work off of. As we mature (we need to get out of the womb first) we will obtain more data, and we know our customer base will certainly help with that as well. Thanks.
Well done, my friend. Wish I had some 264, 277, and 284's to try right now. ;) Right in the middle of trying new loads for the fall hunting season.

I would be interested in seeing the expansion around the 1800-2200 FPS area. These look pretty promising.

I've only loaded one bullet in one gun, but I wouldn't consider the load process unique or any different that any other bullet. I looked at published load data for a 150gr TTSX from Barnes and a few other sources, and picked a powder on the faster side of what was listed. I went pretty high on my charge weight just because I've shot a lot of mono metal bullets and had a good idea what to expect. I just happened to get lucky and matched the published velocity for a 150gr TTSX in a 300 RUM on my first try.

If you'd like Cohunt, I can take a few of the bullets I have left and try to do a second load with a different powder using the same process. It's still not data for more typical chamberings, but it might show a trend of what you can expected when loading these bullets. It would also help determine how much of my initial success was just complete luck!

Let us all be nice to each other ...

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

The loading recommendation's on their website lis basically a carbon copy of the Hammer Hunter load process with the Lee FCD thrown in

Recent Posts