150g Matchking toughness

sodbuster

If I'm using 150's in a 280 imp@ about 3000fps, how much will it penetrate? Deer ribs only, deer shoulders etc. I'd rather ask here than find out on a deer. Thanks

Sod buster

I use a straight 280 with 168 gr Sierra MKs and they destroy deer with full penitration through and through. Even through the shoulders.
No reason the 150 gr won't do the same.

It don't take much to kill a deer even at longrange.

Later
DC

It was a 70 Degree day today,With a variable 10 mph wind out of the NNW(I shoot N) I had about a 3/4" group with 139g Horn. @about 3130 or so. I also had about 5 loads from 54g of 4350 to 56.5g of 4350 that ran from about 2900 to 3000 with the Match King. At 57g It opened way up again(about 2 1/2" groups). Of the 5 loads, There wasn't enough difference for me to tell what was the best load and what was me- they all ran 1" to 1/2" With a little primer flattening at the hotter loads(No other signs). Knowing that deer season will be at least 40 degrees cooler, more likely 50 to 60, Where would you go with the load? 56g to move a little closer to the mid-range or a little lower yet? How much will The temp difference affect Me?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.