150 Yard 28 lb. Tom Bobcat - video/pic

Double Naught Spy

Was out last night for hogs. Arrived early to the property, checked cams and learned hogs had been there at 4:00 in the morning, so I decided to make a night of it and see if they came back. It was a long a very chilly night in the stand. No hogs.

However, about 2:30 in the morning, I spotted a bobcat at the edge of the property, crossing the field. By the time I had my rifle up and gear turned on, he had crossed more than half way. Fortunately, he stopped for a moment and at that point, the recorder indicated it was recording and I went ahead and took the shot. The first shot spined the Tom and he went down part way but started to get up and than is when the second shot permanently anchored him.

Can't tell colors or markings on thermal video, but this cat turned out to be very pretty.

Video... [ame]http://youtu.be/z3ZYGNfSk3k[/ame]

20141230_023449reduced.jpg

Heya... Is that a dvr towards the rear of your front grip? If so, could you give us a few details on it... Brand, where you got it, how much it costs and whether you like it or not (likes - dislikes)? I've considered getting one but just haven't made the leap. I keep seeing some for $200+ and then others on ebay from China or Hong Kong, but I'm a little leary.

Any info would be awesome.

Thanks.... And another great carpe video! Congrats on the cat!

-James

My DVR is the box mounted forward of the brass catcher on the rail. A buddy of mine configured a nice mount with velco for the DVR case to attach to securely. However, I have previously carried it in the stock pouch where you see the patches and had it zip-tied to the top of my scope (different scope than in the picture above).

The more you isolate these from shock, the better. The velcro attachment allows for some wiggle that helps dampen recoil forces on the unit. The same goes for letting it ride in the pouch. I know folks use these with up to .308.

Very little of the electronics aren't made in China it seems. Mine IS and it costs about $220. It is an Ultimate Night Vision MDVR. Night Vision DVR for Thermal and Digital Scopes - UNV MDVR

The UNV MDVR does have sound.

Angel Eye is a cheapy Chinese recorder you can find on Ebay and it does an okay job for the $60-80 it will cost you, but it does not have sound. I have gone through several of these. Something like the UNV MDVR or a Lawmate is a better deal because they seem to be better made.

Lawmate seems to be the next higher up units and I don't think they have sound, but are supposedly more rugged (maybe some have sound?) and also at least some of the electronics are Chinese I am told from a buddy who took his apart. They start at about $400 or so.

The UNV MDVR has a remote wire for activating the recorder. That is a nice feature. I think some of the competition has something similar as well, but I have no experience with those. The Angel Eye does not and I don't believe the LawMate does (note that there are multiple models of LawMate and maybe some do, IDK). It isn't a critical feature, but is handy.

The trick with a lot of these is getting the correct wiring harness between your scope and the DVR. It seems every scope company uses a different configuration. If you know what you are doing, you can make your own cheaply enough. If you go through UNV, give Tyler (owner) a call and tell him what scope you have and he can probably set you up with the right cable.

I would be willing to guess that with how things are progressing, there may be more manufacturers of DVRs showing up at the Shot Show. If you are not in a critical hurry, you might wait and see what it reported from there. Just a thought.

Did that cover what you needed?

Double Naught.... Appreciate the thorough reply... And yes... That was a great help. I just spent some money on a night vision scope, as I already have a thermal cam and just couldn't afford the cost of a thermal scope, so I'm hoping to use both to spot, identify and shoot coyotes out here in the desert. There's also a mountain lion that has been lurking around my buddies property and he has a couple of indoor outdoor kelsies he's worried that might make a nice snack for the cat, so he's asked if I could come and take care of it.

Appreciate you taking the time. Not sure I can swing another $200 for a dvr, but perhaps if I can take on extra work, I might be able to look at it down the road. I really appreciate your help!

-James

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts