150 vs 168 Barnes TTSX 300 Weatherby

aOWENc

Hey Everyone,

I finally have everything I need to start reloading for my 300 Roy, except the bullets. I've determined I really want to go with the Barnes TTSX in 150 or 168 grains. What would you recommend?

I know most people recommend heavier bullets for the fast 300s, but I don't have any plans to hunt anything larger than deer and don't plan on shooting past 500 yards, so I'm pretty set on keeping it at or under 168 grains for recoil purposes and it appears that Barnes bullets really shine with higher velocity.

With the current state of the ammo and reloading market, my supplies are pretty limited. I currently am working with Winchester Large Magnum Rifle Primers, a bunch of H4831, and Norma brass.

I'm really hoping I can work up a sub-MOA load with these components, as I don't think I can readily locate any other powder or primers. The good news is that the Barnes seem to be some of the only bullets widely in stock right now.

Any load data or tips would be greatly appreciated. Most manuals use H4831SC, but I understand that the data is interchangeable with standard 4831. Can anyone confirm this? I will be loading for my Vanguard S2 and my brother's Mark V.

Thank you!

I use the 180 TTSX, and would go with the 168 if you're determined to lighter.

I know someone who used a Weatherby 338-378 for shooting deer doing crop damage. You just can't make them too dead.

Most Mono bullets, Like the Hornady GMX 165gr,, Nosler E-Tip 168 Gr. and Barnes TTSX 168 are longer compared to Core jacket bullets, They have an air pocket in the center of the pedals so it will open on impact. They are just a shade longer than 180gr. Jacket core bullets.
The 165 Gr or 150 Gr Barnes should do well in a 300 Weatherby. Only trying will tell.

Just a thought. It is my understanding Barnes Bullets was bought a few years ago by Remington. Remington wanted an in production supply of Leadless bullets. To produce factory ammo for the California Leadless required area. With Remington now being in some sort of bankruptsy only time will tell.
Good Luck on the endeavor.

Check out Hammer Bullets.....easier to load and will out perform Barnes all day long! I've converted 8 different rifles to Hammers and most were previously shooting Barnes! I'm shooting 181s in my 300 Wby. but have a couple of buddies shooting 152s in the 300 WMs that have been devastating on deer, sheep and exotics!

Check out Hammer Bullets.....easier to load and will out perform Barnes all day long! I've converted 8 different rifles to Hammers and most were previously shooting Barnes! I'm shooting 181s in my 300 Wby. but have a couple of buddies shooting 152s in the 300 WMs that have been devastating on deer, sheep and exotics!
Whats your load for the WBY if you don't mind?

What Mark V, German or later (Japan or US)? The older Wby made in Germany have 1:12 twist not stabilizing the heavier bullet. All others are 1:10. The 150-168 class sound great for your application. Good luck

What Mark V, German or later (Japan or US)? The older Wby made in Germany have 1:12 twist not stabilizing the heavier bullet. All others are 1:10. The 150-168 class sound great for your application. Good luck
Sorry

Last edited:
Check out Hammer Bullets.....easier to load and will out perform Barnes all day long! I've converted 8 different rifles to Hammers and most were previously shooting Barnes! I'm shooting 181s in my 300 Wby. but have a couple of buddies shooting 150
Whats your load for the WBY if you don't mind?
83 grains RL26

Check out Hammer Bullets.....easier to load and will out perform Barnes all day long! I've converted 8 different rifles to Hammers and most were previously shooting Barnes! I'm shooting 181s in my 300 Wby. but have a couple of buddies shooting 150

83 grains RL26
Thank you. When I find the powder, I will give it a try.

Mark V action for the 300 Wby?
If so, how do they feed from the action or more importantly from the magazine?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.