15 yr old boy shoots Elk at just under 1,000 yards

Question: why shoot at such a LONG distancce

I don't wish to offend you, but this is "long range hunting.com" and we're in the long range section. So, I will hope to educate you in a friendly manner here.

My son was so jacked about killing his first elk last year. I warned him that most people will not understand, so be careful about talking about how far you shot.

He went back to school and told some friends and a teacher about his success with the elk. Most of them (including the teacher) told him that it was unethical. Of course my blood started to boil and I wanted to jump in his teachers face and say "dude, my son will take a 1,000 yard target (with me doping the wind) and you take a 600 yard target, and let's wager $1,000 on who is the best shooter". I would have no problem with this wager, cause I know what my son is capable of.

Of course when my blood cooled back down, I told him that sometimes people just won't understand. They are caught by their own limitations and they can't see themselves shooting 1,000 yards at game, so obviously other people can't shoot that far.

What they don't understand is that we have shot so much at 1,000 to 1,400 yards, when we come back to 1,000 yards and the wind is doing it's normal thing, it's actually quite easy and can be a waste of ammo, so we extend the range for more of a challenge....

They also don't understand we use a hand held weather station, ballistic software, range finder (gps on long shots), a magnum caliber 15 pound gun, and a scope (5.5 by 22 night force) that costs more than the average hunters gun.

Soooo, why shoot such a long distance? Because we can, and it's fun. And we shoot all summer and sometimes in the winter at these long distances so when it comes to hunting, it's not a big deal.

I can tell you that I have never lost a game animal doing this....I can't say that this is true for stalking (brush hunting) game the old way. In the past, I can tell you that I have lost at least two wounded animals at short range in my life. And although we spent most of the night and the next day looking, we didn't recover these animals. So, statistically for me, long range has a 100% recovery record on game animals.

c ya
zman

Question: why shoot at such a LONG distancce

JR62...One more thing regarding your question about "why shoot so long a distance"

Below is a foto of a target my son shot this spring at 1,450 yards. He was bored and had an itchy trigger finger. The wind was all over the place that day...light and variable left, right,,and lift and no lift. The first shot was off target as I didn't count for lift, but the next few were on the money. The group that hit the target is just about 1/2 moa or about 7 inches.

This is what the 338 edge is capable of in the hands of an experienced shooter and a good spotter doping the wind. It may sound crazy, but just in front of the target we got elk walking about. My son wants to drop an elk there this fall and if he can continue to hit the steal plate, Im gonna let him drop an elk there. Heck, I may have to beat him to the punch if he's in school and the elk decide to sniff around the plate again.

Below is the foto......The 1,450 yard shot is the three just left of center circled with a sharpe.....We streatched it out to just over 1,600 yards and two more hit the plate near center right...Someone may call BS on the distance but keep in mind this plate is mild steal. The 338 edge goes completely through the plate at near 1,000 yards (see other holes). However at 1,400 plus, the 338 edge just bounces off the plate (see circled splats). It bounces off cause the 300 smk just doesn't have the energy to do much to steal at this distance.

037.jpg

Excellent shooting and doping !!!! Also excellent response to the "why" question! I really think that learning to shoot and dope long range shots greatly improves a young persons skills and confidence, which intern makes a better any range hunter and a better representative of the shooting and hunting community.

Way to represent :D

Great post!!!

Your boy is a great shot! That is very awesome!

Congratulations to both of you and may this team work with him and your other boys

last for a very long time.

Tell him that most of the nay sayers are good folks, and they just ignore the things we know!

Please give that young man a big hand shake from me.

Last edited:
Kelly,

Good write up. I was glad to be an instrumental part of your success and most importantly your experience with your kids. I too believe LRH is a largely untapped resource in terms of mentoring kids into hunting while really being able to coach them in the correct way to do things. Keep up the good work.

kellyzier, awesome write-up. I'm not sure if you realize what your doing to your kids at such a young age. You will later. There will be a time when you'll be sitting around a campfire with your boys, their wives and grandkids and the subject of past hunts will come up. You won't be talking about the presents they got for Christmas or video games but times you spent together in the field. Long range hunting, or any hunting for that matter, and the good times will be etched in their past forever. I'm not so impressed with the shot your boy took as I am with the hands-on time you took to teach your boy to achieve that shot. Keep doing what your doing.
Tell your boy...THAT WAS A FREAKIN' AWESOME SHOT!!

Thanks for all your good comments guys!!!

I will let my boys read the string here, it will be good for them. The boys can't wait til this fall for the next hunt. Even now we're up in the hills scouting, finding new spots and target practicing.....

kelly

Fantastic! Great shooting! Your a lucky Dad to have that kind of range to share with your son. :)

Great shooting Hunter! looking forward to getting out and doing some shooting with you this summer! you and i will have to shoot at the close targets (1000-1450 yds) and we will have to make your dad (with his new cheater rifle) back up aways!!

I hope you realize what a trophy that spike is. You might not know it now, but it is likely the one you will remember most and the one you will think back on your whole life.

great job!

Bill

Congrats to you and your son! Wish I had someone to teach me long range when I was that young. Now I got one of my own (just turned 4 months), so it will be a while but figure I will start him out on like a 17 or 22lr and throw a cheap BSA scope on there and he can learn to dial it in.

Time will fly and before you know it, your boy will be with you in the brush, it's always a blast teaching the little ones...My 10 year old never shot any center fire gun (except for 20 gauge), I let him just jump right into the 338 edge. His first shot ever hit the plate at 1,000 yards. The edge is heavy enough that it does not really kick, so it's a good starter for all.

c ya

Congrats on a nice LR shot ! I'm really thinking about buying me a edge from Mr Carlock I was wondering is it really as easy to load for as what i've read ? and how would you rate that rifle compared to other rifles that you have owned in the past ?

Thanks

bigBuck

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.