147 ELD M and 6.5CM

I use them exclusively outta my .264 Win Mag at 3320 fps, one word...devastating and no exit wounds on whitetail, works same on coyotes.

All close to mid range at 250 to 475, not sure outside those ranges.

I use the 147 on whitetail. I don't think you will ever be disappointed using them on deer sized game. At average creedmoor speeds I would recommend keeping shots under 600 yards on deer sized game. Some one will probably come along and tell you they wouldn't hesitate to take a bull elk with a 147 in a creedmoor and someone else is likely to come along and tell you that they wouldn't even shoot a deer with one at all. As stated, my opinion is that they are fine for deer sized game. Try to put it through the heart/lungs.

There's a lot of very smart folks on here, And I'm not even going to pretend I know as much or more than many. My concern with using match bullets for hunting is terminal performance on the animal. The Hornady M match bullets have killed a lot of animals, as has the X hunting bullets. But when a blowup or a bullet fails to perform, it's usually more common for a match bullet to fail to perform than a hunting bullet.

I'm not sure why I would use a match bullet for hunting when I can get almost the same great performance with a hunting bullet. When the manufacturers put in writing that their match bullets are not designed for hunting, why wouldn't someone heed that advice.

The eldm is constructed like the original Nosler ballistic tips, but it has a lower drag shape and is offered in bullets that are up to 20% heavier than ballistic tips were. Now the ballistic tip is classified as a hunting bullet. And some people loved them and some hated them. With an eldm you can start out with 20% more lead over a ballistic tip. and have quite a good margin when it does shed weight. Same goes for Berger's. I don't fault anyone for shooting the bullet they want to shoot. I would absolutely shoot ablr bullets if they all shot as good as a match bullet. This bullet debate has raged on forever. It basically boils down to what results you desire and what distance you need those results to be accomplished at. And you can't hardly have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
It all about having a good understanding of the bullet being used Like highdrum mentioned, I try to avoid large joints & bone with the bullets I use for long range. If I'm closer, & im using a Barnes ( which I only use in one rifle & not for long range) then I would want to hit some bone, maybe not directly on a shoulder joint.

There's a lot of very smart folks on here, And I'm not even going to pretend I know as much or more than many. My concern with using match bullets for hunting is terminal performance on the animal. The Hornady M match bullets have killed a lot of animals, as has the X hunting bullets. But when a blowup or a bullet fails to perform, it's usually more common for a match bullet to fail to perform than a hunting bullet.

I'm not sure why I would use a match bullet for hunting when I can get almost the same great performance with a hunting bullet. When the manufacturers put in writing that their match bullets are not designed for hunting, why wouldn't someone heed that advice.

Because a tighter group means more to me than weather or not it's designed to hunt. As long as it's not a match bullet with a thicker jacket. I know that the eldm is going to expand. Probably very rapidly. I don't think the animal will know the difference. I'd rather have a bullet blow up in the vitals than not expand which is more likely to happen with a "hunting bullet" from my experience.

Because a tighter group means more to me than weather or not it's designed to hunt. As long as it's not a match bullet with a thicker jacket. I know that the eldm is going to expand. Probably very rapidly. I don't think the animal will know the difference. I'd rather have a bullet blow up in the vitals than not expand which is more likely to happen with a "hunting bullet" from my experience.
I totally agree. I've had more than one brand of heavily constructed hunting bullet pencil through at times. I happened to be able to shoot two deer, each on different occasions standing in the same place from about 465yds. One was shot with the 147 eld. The other was shot with a 140 accubond from a 270 wsm. Both were lung/heart shots. Both animals went about 20 yards and fell dead.

Thanks guys. Lots of great information. I always shoot for the vitals to reduce damage to meat so I may just give them a try this year. I usually use my 7RM for hunting but its out of commission this year with scope issues and I was hoping I didn't have to develop another load before hunting.

I've killed a lot of mule deer and whitetails with 147eldm out of a 6.5cm. last year shot a mule deer doe at 745 yards threw the lungs. it went about 40 yards and tipped over. I've never had a problem with them on game, and have great long range performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.