1450 yard whitetail last year...

PaShoot

Could potentially get a mile thus year if the neighbors not home, hehe. Would you go for it given the chance?

All depends on many conditions. Wind, rifle I had with me and if I had taken this shot many times on targets with a good success rate.

Jeff

If this was a varmint animal I would say go as far as you can get. I love pushing the envelope. On a game animal for me, I wouldn't ever back off just to increase the yardage. I doesn't sound like it's an animal that you just can't get closer to and this is your only shot. It kind of sounds like you could simply drive up a lot closer if you wanted too. As long as this is a high percentage shot is the main criteria. If it's a "hail mary" just to see, I wouldn't do it. JMHO

If you do it we want to hear all about it. I am interested in the quipment you are using to make a shot like this.

Could potentially get a mile thus year if the neighbors not home, hehe. Would you go for it given the chance?

Would I do it? Nope=No for a couple of reasons.
#1 It sounds like you are going to have to step on some toes to do it? Sometimes things happen but planning it is just plain wrong!
#2 My long range shots are the result of me either not being able to get closer or it being very difficult. Either way you gotta get to the critter so you aint saveing yourself any work.....
#3 @ this point it would be a stunt and we all would look at it that way=Remember respect is earned.
Getting off my soapbox now=remember you asked

I personally wouldn't. A white tail's kill zone is about 10-12" depending on animal size for my liking. At that range it's hard to see a hit confidence of even 50%. The best of ballistics will give you about a foot of wind drift per 1-2 mph at that range which can easily be the difference between your shooting position and the top of the arc of the bullet. Add to that a .5 MOA rifle precision of 7-8". It's more likely to be twice that. There are several other variables that would add to the cumulative error. Rocks and coyotes, yes, a whietail tail, I would get closer. IMHO.

I have not shot at that distance... yet, but from what I am seeing at around the 1400 yard mark I don't think I would try it either. Bullets are starting to get blown around, and here in the CO mountains, there are too many variable winds when shooting across the terrain features here.

Do you have permission to be on the neighbor's place? sounds like you do not. As a result, NO. If you do not have permission, you would be trespassing.

I totally agree with Trebark, trespassing, isn't cool!

On the shot, That's a very long shot, not doubting your abilities, but there are not too many shooters that could make a humane kill on deer at that distance. Shawn, Broz, Kirby and some others I am sure. They would be the guys to ask.

Just my thoughts.

As the saying goes, "Not no, but hell no!"

Not often that I doubt somebodies claims (1450), but this one I sure do. If you did, then I apologize. I know there are those on here that are capable. I'm not to that distance yet, so maybe I should shut it.

Back to the shot, should you based on what you have said in previous posts, as well as this one? No

Partial quote of yours, "I don't shoot a lot but I do observe what seems to work":rolleyes:

And the part about "if the neighbors not home".:rolleyes:

Add to those comments, the other reasons for not doing so, already posted and you get "stupid". Sorry, but you asked for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts