143 Hammer Hunters in 280 AI For ELK?

Left Hand Dave

We have a lady that is in need of elk ammunition for her 280 AI pretty fast so need to work with what we have on hand. Has anyone used the 143 gr Hammer Hunter on elk out of a 280 AI or equivalent and if so what was the distance and results? We don't have velocity info yet but any ideas on effective range?

Thanks for any help you can give so we can get her ready for her elk hunt including load data is most appreciated.
Dave

Yes you can use the 143 HH. I run RE23, Federal GM215M primers.
Depending on your rate of twist and barrel length, Steve may recommend something different.
Seat the bullets .020 off the lands and run your ladder.
Assuming you have or can buy the same powder/primer you can get to 3100+ with Nosler brass or above that at 3200+ with "manly" brass like Peterson in a 26" barrel.
On the website 1800 fps is the lowest terminal velocity.
You can look at a ballistic program with muzzle velocity and how many yards out you reach 1800 fps velocity required and that's your effective distance. 24" barrel would produce 60 fps less approximately.

Option: H4831SC, large rifle primers also works with 168 Sierra Match Kings, tipped or hollow point. About 2800-2900 is what I have seen for this combo.

Talk to Steve at Hammer or one of his associates. Your rate of twist is important for flight and terminal performance

IBob,
Thanks for the input. I have used the Hammers in a 7 SAUM pistol but only on deer. Have had great performance out to 500 with it but no elk experience. Thanks again.
Dave

We have a lady that is in need of elk ammunition for her 280 AI pretty fast so need to work with what we have on hand. Has anyone used the 143 gr Hammer Hunter on elk out of a 280 AI or equivalent and if so what was the distance and results? We don't have velocity info yet but any ideas on effective range?

Thanks for any help you can give so we can get her ready for her elk hunt including load data is most appreciated.
Dave

Yes you can use the 143 HH. I run RE23, Federal GM215M primers.
Depending on your rate of twist and barrel length, Steve may recommend something different.
Seat the bullets .020 off the lands and run your ladder.
Assuming you have or can buy the same powder/primer you can get to 3100+ with Nosler brass or above that at 3200+ with "manly" brass like Peterson in a 26" barrel.
On the website 1800 fps is the lowest terminal velocity.
You can look at a ballistic program with muzzle velocity and how many yards out you reach 1800 fps velocity required and that's your effective distance. 24" barrel would produce 60 fps less approximately.

Option: H4831SC, large rifle primers also works with 168 Sierra Match Kings, tipped or hollow point. About 2800-2900 is what I have seen for this combo.

Talk to Steve at Hammer or one of his associates. Your rate of twist is important for flight and terminal performance
Bob's Advice is on the money, Load it up and Let Her eat

Not that exact setup, but pretty close... 155 Hammer Hunter out of a 7SAUM at 2940mv. 550 yard shot, a few stops and he dropped. As other guys have mentioned, RL-23 or H4831SC should be a great choice.

img_3867-jpeg.305429

My son and I shoot 143 hammer hunters out of a Gunwerks 20" 7 saum which is a short action twin to your 280ai. We use ADG, fed 215m primers and 58.9 of h4350 which is giving single digit SD with velocity of 3050. Took a 380" 6x7 elk this past fall at 189 yards. Broadside shot and elk fell within a couple seconds. We found an exit wound for the shank, two petal exits and a very dead elk with a single shot. Couldn't be happier with the performance.

I can't think of a 140 of any make that wouldn't do well on elk, the Hammer included

My first Hammer bullet kill was this past Dec. in CO. Cow elk.
Same load as Mr. Wright.
254 yds., 280 AI, 143g Hammer Hunter @ 3226 fps
62.3gr RE23, Nosler Brass, Fed 215 primer, 1/8 crimp w/ Lee FCD.
Dropped DRT so fast I thought I'd missed as recoil pulled me off the fence post rest.
Spotter called me off as she was down. Quartering to me, neck/shoulder junction, complete pass thru. Lungs toast. Pretty sure you can't go wrong w/ the 143g HH out of an Ackley.
Good luck.

Dave
Hi Dave ,

I'm using 169HH , 64.0gr N560 , 26" mcgowen barrel 1:9 speeds 3044,3053,3054 . .020 otl.

Extremely good accuracy .
IMG_0445.jpeg

Recent Posts