143 for ELD-X 6.5x284

Mcarso1

ok so I remember reading load development for this caliber on this forum but cannot find my way back to it. I bought Lapua brass, 143 ELD-x, H4831sc and federal 210. Hornady didn't have info on this bullet in load book? So to start what grain and cartridge overall length should I begin with? I know there are a couple of you 6.5x284 guys on here that know your **** and could save me some wasted bullets in development. Gun is Christensen ridgeline, 26" barrel 1/8 twist. I can switch up powder and primers if need be but this is what I picked up to get started.

If it was me I would try finding the distance to the lands and start 10 thou off the lands loading one groups of 3. I would next shorten them by 10 or 20 thou and load groups of 3. I would probably load every bullet at the same powder weight charge. I think 48 to 50 grains is low enough. I was able to run 51grn 4831 on my 140's without pressure but that was max. Find what you gun likes for seating depth first and then load up to find pressure. Later small seating depth changes will tweak the load even more for tighter groups. Just doing a quick search I seen where someone had posted there best seating depth was 3.110. I ran mine with 140 bergers at 3.100 COL.

The eld-x can be finicky with seating depth. I suggest using Berger's protocol to find the best seating depth first, then work your load up from there. Although, I've found quite a few people that state the eld-x likes to be about 0.03" off the lands. I have a long action Savage 116 that was a rebarrel from 30-06 to the 6.5-284. My best COAL is 3.170"
If using H4831, you will find 51-53.5 gr will be where you end up. I use it with the 140 VLD and get only 2897 fps out of 53.5 gr, but it's super accurate.
I use 57.6 gr of Retumbo to get 2973 fps and accuracy. Most others find 56-58 gr of Retumbo to be where they end up.
2950 fps seems to be the accuracy node for this caliber with the 140-143 gr bullets

I haven't played with ELD-X bullets, I use the 142gr ABLR or the 140gr Berger VLD Hybrid in my 6.5x47 and 264WM.
I do seatng depth tests first with a mid load, find that first, then develop my loads just like Erik Cortina does @ 100mtrs.
I find wide nodes best, but I shoot at 600-1000mtrs, so this is importanr.

Cheers.
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.