1410y Cow Elk Hammered

Being that they are a monolithic copper bullet, any given weight in any given caliber will be a longer bullet than the same weight lead core bullet, if they are both similar profile, such as these, geared towards long range and good BC. The 181 hammer is as long or longer than the 212 eld-x without the poly tip, and requires at least a 10 twist. The longer the bullet, the tighter the twist requirement to properly stabilize. The 199 hammer hunter (1.618" long, longer than the 212 eld-x) and 214 hammer hunter (1.752" long, as long as the new Hornady 230 A-Tip) bullets require a 9.25 and 9 twist to properly stabilize, respectively.

Sorry for getting off track!!

G'day Cody
Thank you for setting me straight, you put a fair amount of time and work into your reply,
I have only heard of Hammer projectiles on this site and never knew about them when I built my .300wm picture in my avatar
I built the rifle on the 212ELD-X , I can't see a issue in using the Hammers in my rifle apart from getting them ,
We don't as yet have them in Aussiestralia
And no way were you off track , you supplied a good lesson for me thank you
And good name That Cody , our farm work dog is called Cody
He's a red cloud sheep dog but will round up anything he is pointed to from duck , chooks to cows and emus
Cheers
Paul

Hello,
I'm the father of this young lady. She is 14 years old. She is a very accomplished shooter for her age. Me and her shoot at least 2-3 times a week. This is how this went down. The young man on the left is a first time hunter in which he shot the first cow he put her down in its tracks with the 280ai in the picture that my daughter is holding in pick. The rest of the herd took off like a scalded dog on the run. My daughter maid the comment when they stopped up the canyon ( dad do you care if I dry fire on one of the cows). I said I don't care. Click then she did it again. She looked at me and said dad I got this will you dope my scope. So I ranged it and I told her it was going to be heck of a poke. She looked me straight in the face and said dad I got this. The only reason why I let her try is because I know her shooting capacity. There absolutely no wind. The dust that was kicked up on the gravel road just stayed lingering around.

The cow absolutely went flat I was absolutely shocked at how it ended up.

The rifle she used is one of my wildcats that I designed. It's parent case is 375 cheytac. I'm pushing the 260 grain hammer at 3380fps.

Thank you for the positive comments. Happy hunting.
G'day Laizure

Not sure what happened to my post a few pages back
But again WOW unreal bit of shooting by your daughter and suppose you get a little wow as well for dialling in the scope
The easy part lol
You should be so so proud of her
keep teaching her and keep her in the field, but I guess it would be hard to keep her outta it
Been teaching my grandson 10 years old and granddaughter 14 years old ,for a few years now but haven't got them shooting as far as you guys , yet !!
Keep it up
Cheers
Paul
And a big well done to Steve of Hammer Projectiles

Last edited:
G'day WYO300RUM
My .308 has a 1:10 30inch Palma heavy weight match. Shillen Barrel
And my .300 WM has a 1:10 33inch Palma heavy weight match Rock Creek Barrel
I built the .300WM on the 212grn Hornady ELD-X, and so far it shoots extremely well . I haven't finished running the barrel in only fired 30 rounds so far ,
Please explain you reasons for no more than 181 grn with Hammers ????
I'm hoping Steve from Hammer bullets will chime in but if you go to the Hammer Bullet website it gives the recommendations for bullet/barrel twist. Has to do with the length of bullet/bc.
I have a 300 RUM and two 300 win mags. All with 1 in 10 twist. 181 is recommended for that. I wanted to shoot the heavier 199 but if i recall it took a 1 in 9 twist to stabilize. I surely could be wrong because I'm not going on the website to verify. But I am going to bed. I'm sure Steve will set us straight .My previous post disappeared also....

I'm hoping Steve from Hammer bullets will chime in but if you go to the Hammer Bullet website it gives the recommendations for bullet/barrel twist. Has to do with the length of bullet/bc.
I have a 300 RUM and two 300 win mags. All with 1 in 10 twist. 181 is recommended for that. I wanted to shoot the heavier 199 but if i recall it took a 1 in 9 twist to stabilize. I surely could be wrong because I'm not going on the website to verify. But I am going to bed. I'm sure Steve will set us straight .My previous post disappeared also....

Cheers mate
I'm sure Steve will chime in then we will be set right lol

As @WYO300RUM pointed out correctly the mono bullets are longer for weight than conventional bullets. Copper is 20% lighter for volume than lead. The recommended min twist rates that we have on each bullet really is a min twist. We are learning as we go that the longer for caliber the more critical the twist rate gets. The Miller stability formula doesn't line up correctly with the very long bullets. It doesn't take into account material density and I am not sure that it takes into account the very long for caliber bullets that are around today that weren't back when that math was done. We are seeing that the needed twist for bullets as they get longer for caliber increases at a greater rate thanis shown in the calculators.

When I choose a bullet for hunting I try to get closer to 2.0 on the Miller calculation. Higher stability results in better terminal performance.

Thank you Steve. Am I correct that you recommended a min. 1 in 10 twist for the 181 ? That's what I remember.
I wasn't sure on 199 and heavier without looking up.

Thank you Steve. Am I correct that you recommended a min. 1 in 10 twist for the 181 ? That's what I remember.
I wasn't sure on 199 and heavier without looking up.
Yes. Less than 10" with the 181g Hammer Hunter and you will likely have accuracy issues and possibly a tumbling bullet on impact. The 199g HH and the 215g HH will have these issues in the 10" twist. We designed three 199g HH for the 9.3" twist Proof barrel. I prefer to run it with a 9" twist. The 214g HH definitely needs 9" or faster.

Yes. Less than 10" with the 181g Hammer Hunter and you will likely have accuracy issues and possibly a tumbling bullet on impact. The 199g HH and the 215g HH will have these issues in the 10" twist. We designed three 199g HH for the 9.3" twist Proof barrel. I prefer to run it with a 9" twist. The 214g HH definitely needs 9" or faster.
Thanks Steve ! Sorry to everybody for getting off topic. :(

I got a call from a customer last Sunday. He was quite excited about the bullet performance on a cow that was taken at 1410y. After talking for a bit I told him that to my knowledge this was the longest kill that I was aware of with a Hammer Bullet. Then he told me that it was his 14 year old daughter that was the shooter. After a pretty long conversation it became very apparent that this young lady is a very accomplished shooter. On her own she took dry fire shots on the cow and determined that she had this shot in the bag. The conditions were perfect to pull off a great one and done as there was dead calm air that morning. The scope was set for the drop and she executed the perfect shot dropping the cow on impact. His words to me were, "She couldn't have dropped faster if she was hit in the ear.". This young lady owns the longest kill with a Hammer Bullet that we are aware of!

The rifle used for this shot is a .338 Laizure. A Cheytac parent case of his design in the .338 caliber. The rifle is running the 260g Hammer Hunter at 3380 fps with 115g N570 at low pressure. I did not get all of the atmospherics from him but they were at 1600 ft elev. I did some quick calculations and that puts the impact vel at ~1600 fps.

Here are some pics of the carcass. I am pretty sure that I have them labeled correctly. He said the exit hole is about 2" dia.

View attachment 143514
Entrance

Entrance inside

Exit inside

This is the young lady that made this incredible shot. Unfortunately they did not get a pic with the rifle that was used. There were two more cows taken that day with the same rifle at ~700y and ~800y.

Also I should mention that this is on a private land game damage hunt.
I LOVE IT! CONGRATULATIONS to the Fine young Lady & 1 very Proud Father! Froggen AWESOME! The BOYS better treat this gal PROPER is all I have to say! Awesome story, Great SHOT, PLZ keep us in the loop on her future.

Hello,
I'm the father of this young lady. She is 14 years old. She is a very accomplished shooter for her age. Me and her shoot at least 2-3 times a week. This is how this went down. The young man on the left is a first time hunter in which he shot the first cow he put her down in its tracks with the 280ai in the picture that my daughter is holding in pick. The rest of the herd took off like a scalded dog on the run. My daughter maid the comment when they stopped up the canyon ( dad do you care if I dry fire on one of the cows). I said I don't care. Click then she did it again. She looked at me and said dad I got this will you dope my scope. So I ranged it and I told her it was going to be heck of a poke. She looked me straight in the face and said dad I got this. The only reason why I let her try is because I know her shooting capacity. There absolutely no wind. The dust that was kicked up on the gravel road just stayed lingering around.

The cow absolutely went flat I was absolutely shocked at how it ended up.

The rifle she used is one of my wildcats that I designed. It's parent case is 375 cheytac. I'm pushing the 260 grain hammer at 3380fps.

Thank you for the positive comments. Happy hunting.

Maybe this has already been covered I'm catching up but how far has she shot previously? Obvious she has some skills for her age. Great job!

Great shot and preparation! Nice to see some one so young using their head. Great job Dad.

I just spoke with the Dad to let him know he and his daughter need to check out the thread together. He kinda got a bad taste when the numb skull showed up and rained on the parade. I told him his daughter is a rock star! He said they will. They were our practicing shooting at 2200y and they were fixing to step it back to 2800y. I just wish I had a spot to shoot that far and be able to drive to the target.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.