140gr Speer gold dot

Dvldad

Has anyone tried this bullet on game? I have a 6.5 creed that shoots them really well. My velocity is 2830. I'm wonder about trying them on pigs and deer.

I have not used the 140 gr but have used the 120 GD out of my 6.5 Grendel at 2550 fps and it is ONE AWESOME BULLET on deer. It is a bonded bullet that opens up quickly but holds together and keeps on trucking like a buzz saw through deer leaving behind it a chest cavity looking like it has been in a blender.

I continue to find myself to be more and more impressed with Speer bullets, more so recently then ever BEFORE. Years ago, couldn't get them to shoot, used to use them to break in barrel. Nowadays, they shoot like crazy, and anchor deer in their tracks.
Seems like everybodies stepping up to the plate now.
Just ordered a box, of 145 spbt, 7mm, for 7-08. $18. Can't best the price EITHER! Good luck!

That 7mm Speer 145 gr Hot Core is a good deer bullet if you keep the impact velocity under 2900 fps. Had a friend that was using it in a 7mm Rem mag and running it full throttle. Deer would run off a ways and not leave much if any blood trail often when shot inside 200 yards. He noticed that when the yardage got a little over 200 yards deer dropped and those that did not did not go very far and there was a good blood trail because the bullet exited. He decided to load his 7 mag down and found great accuracy right around 2950 fps. Where he was hunting this was plenty of velocity because his max shots would be around 350 yards on a power line cut through a little stand of pines that was between two soybean fields in east NC. He did not have many runners after doing this.

Back in 1980 I used some Speer 150 gr BT Hot Core in a 30-06 for deer and it was an extremely accurate and deadly bullet. The ONLY local place I could get them quit handling them and started using the more popular Sierra 165 BTHP. It was also a great deer bullet so I just switched to it.

Thank you for the replies. I booked an aoudad hunt and wanted a stout bullet. The 140's shoot pretty dang good out of my creedmoor. I'm pretty impressed with them for accuracy. I also picked some up for my 22 nosler in the 75's and they shoot extremely accurate out of that rifle and they are moving 3105fps.

I'm wanting to try them in my creedmoor, love to get some for my 7mag for elk but they don't make them in .284 cal

That 7mm Speer 145 gr Hot Core is a good deer bullet if you keep the impact velocity under 2900 fps. Had a friend that was using it in a 7mm Rem mag and running it full throttle. Deer would run off a ways and not leave much if any blood trail often when shot inside 200 yards. He noticed that when the yardage got a little over 200 yards deer dropped and those that did not did not go very far and there was a good blood trail because the bullet exited. He decided to load his 7 mag down and found great accuracy right around 2950 fps. Where he was hunting this was plenty of velocity because his max shots would be around 350 yards on a power line cut through a little stand of pines that was between two soybean fields in east NC. He did not have many runners after doing this.

Back in 1980 I used some Speer 150 gr BT Hot Core in a 30-06 for deer and it was an extremely accurate and deadly bullet. The ONLY local place I could get them quit handling them and started using the more popular Sierra 165 BTHP. It was also a great deer bullet so I just switched to it.
The ones I have coming, are the spbt, which I believe are NOT the Hot Cores. I'm told that the two fly different, and one is a flat base, I believe, the flat base, is the Hot Cores.
I have a 7-08, that seems to like 140-150 grain bullets, (boat tail), so I thought the 145 would be the ticket. Also am told, they are very accurate, and easy to get to shoot. Whitetail dont like them too much! The raves about the 130, and 145 seem to be common.
Good shooting!

I'm wanting to try them in my creedmoor, love to get some for my 7mag for elk but they don't make them in .284 cal
I believe they're basically a fusion. Federal owns Speer and the "bonding" process is the same for both bullets. I just ordered some 140 gold dot for my creedmoors. Lets see if they perform as good as they say.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.