140 grain 6.5 Barnes Match Burner for hogs and targets

Richard Teague

I have a 24 inch barrel 8 twist 260 Remington. So far it shoots every good bullet I try into tight little groups. Smaller in fact than I expected. I ordered 3 boxes of the Match Burners yesterday and I expect they will shoot just fine as so far it seems my barrel is all about 140 gr bullets. For the hunting it will do my shooting will be across a 300 yard wide pasture up against a dense treeline. Normally I go out there and pour a thin line of corn along the timberline for several hundred yards, the hogs come out and eat their way up the treeline to my left where I put out 20 pounds of corn. Really just want to know if I will have to make CNS hits or will the bullet expand enough for chest hits not involving the spine. Is it a soft or a hard bullet?

Have no experience with the bullets you referred to, but I am SO envious of your hunting situation, I'd give my eye teeth to be in that position, good luck and let us know how they work.

Well I prepped 60 Pieces of Winchester 243 brass sizing them to 260 Rem. The bullets arrived just in time to test a few before dark. I only had time to load and shoot 6. I used for a first load 42.0 grs of I4350 popped with a CCI 250 mag primer. I seated the first three to magazine length and the second three with the top of the boattail even with the base of the case neck. Neither touched the lands. First three were the mag length ones First shot was high probably cleaning out the ball powder residue from the last 27 rounds down the tube on it's way out (3/4 inch high) Next two were touching dead center. Last were the longer loaded rounds which had to be single loaded. these hit even with the first making a neat little triangle. The obligatory jug test to see if this is a tough or a soft match bullet. Three gallon jugs set up at 100 yards 1/2 inch apart in a line. First two jugs were blown apart and fragments were found in the third with a few pieces exiting. I rate it soft but giving good enough penetration for various shots including broadside chest hits. Tomorrow I will work upward a bit in 1/2 grain increments but I am going to guess 42.0 grains shoots good enough.

will be looking for your results. they shoot good in my 6.5 prc . try to get pictures if possible

I hunt at night so my cell phone pics are usually crappy and I usually skin and quarter pretty quick. If I happen to take one and it is just before daylight I can take pics while skinning.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.