140 Berger 6.5 CM

Leave me alone

Does anyone use the 140gr Berger for hunting Deer and or Elk and have you had any issues with this bullet. I shot two White-tails last year right behind the shoulder and both walked about 70 yards befor going down. My friend shot two using Bares bullets and they dropped right were they were standing

The VLD Hunting shoots incredable in my 6.5 CM Got a little spooked when I was at the Wild Sheep show In Reno, NV Talked with several guides that recommend to their clients NOT to come with Loads with Berger Bullets. Alaskan outfitter for Moose and Grizzly told me that if you do show up with loads using Berger bullets that they wont take you out and that you will have to use one of their rifles

My 6.5 CM was built by TS Customs Has a 26" Benchmark Barrel and a McMillan stock...........my load is 42.4gr Of H4350 F205M Primers and Lapua Brass @ 2860fps..................all groups have been well under .5 Will be using this load this spring with 140gr Berger VLD Hunting out Chuck hunting............... I guess I will stick with this bullet but would like to hear some feed back from other hunters who have use this bullet

My 6.5 CM was built by TS Customs Has a 26" Benchmark Barrel and a McMillan stock...........my load is 42.4gr Of H4350 F205M Primers and Lapua Brass @ 2860fps..................all groups have been well under .5 Will be using this load this spring with 140gr Berger VLD Hunting out Chuck hunting............... I guess I will stick with this bullet but would like to hear some feed back from other hunters who have use this bullet
I have used this bullet in a 260 ackley for years with no problems only on deer and pigs I choose to use a larger caliber for elk if I were to use a 6.5 for elk it would be either a barnes or hammer bullet and at 400 or less yards to keep impact velocity up

Son has killed bull elk and really nice mule deer with that bullet started out at 2,670 fps. Pic of recovered bullet from bull elk at about 400 yards. Busted shoulder, found on other side of hide.

I've killed black bear, whitetail bucks, antelope, mule deer bucks, and mountain goats with it without issue started out at about 2900 fps. Most have been dead immediately, furthest anything went was about 30 yards or so.

Great bullet and one of our go to ones.

6.5 berger 140 vld hunting bullet. Busted onside shoulder, tore up lungs and resting under opposite hide. Impact velocity down between 2000-2100. That is as slow as we have hit something with them. I use them with no hesitation on anything in CO.

KurtB.................thanks for the feed back, very encouraging. I will stick with what I have ..... My son shoots a .243 AI and the 105 I have seen him drop a nice Black Bear in his tracks..

Appreciate the info and picture

I'd take my chances with anything on this continent short of the big Bears with that bullet out of my .264 Win. Killed a slew of Elk with it, all one and done. From 75 yards out to 650+.

I have taken a few deer with the 6.5cm using Berger's 140 VLDH. All but one was a bang flop. The one exception may have taken6 or 8 steps, but the outcome was never in doubt. Most of these shots were also taken at what would be considered close range by all on this forum. From what I have read, close range is where the Berger's are supposedly having fragmentation issues. They are the most accurate out of multiple guns of mine in various calibers and that is also a big part of the equation.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.