140 Accubond for Mulies?

Blacktail

Heading to Alberta and taking my 7mm STW and may have to take shots out to 400 yds. I know a lot of people swear by the accubond but heard from a couple people where they have failed. There is still some time and thought about loading some swift A-Frames. Only problem not a lot of time leave nov 1st Any thoughts?

I much prefer the 160gr Accubonds in my 7STW. They shoot very well with Retumbo or H1000 in my rifle.

IMO, the 140's are better suited in the smaller cases like the 7mm-08.

Just my 2 cents

I have just returned from several days Red stag stalking and for the first trime used the 140 grain .270 Accubonds, no deer were shot beyond 180 yards but each fell to a single shot.

Even where no ribs were struck expansion was sufficient to kill cleanly, even with neck shots. I have got a load that will produce a 5 shot group into 5/8 inch at 100 yards and am now sold on Accubonds 100%.

Largest stag shot had an on the hoof weight of just under 16 stones.

I have yet to read of a single make of bullet that according to someone somewhere has failed for either themself or a friend or a friend of a friend, I suppose that anything is possible. For my part however I look to try out bullets that seem to get good and consistent recomendations, and if they appear to work I will try them, for me the Accubond is one such bullet.

I think the best thing you can do is load some up and give them a try, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Blacktail,

The 140 gr AB would work fine in your 7 STW for mulies but the 160 gr AB would be a better choice. The high BC will retain more velocity and energy down range and the 160 gr will also buck the wind better.
Here is a pic of some 160 gr AB's recovered from water jugs at 100 yds shot with my 280AI.
[image]
280AI160grABrecovered.jpg
[/image]

Good luck on your hunt.

JD338

The 140g AB would no doubt work out to 400 yards. If you already have a load worked up, I would just use that. However, like everyone says and does, the 160g is usually a little bit better choice, especially in something like your STW. Maybe next year try working up a load with the 160g, that way you have a combo deer/elk load. I am still playing with the 160g AB in my 7 RM. Accubonds are great bullets so far. Usually very accurate, just like btips. On game performance has been spectacular for me as well. 200g AB at 3200fps out of my 300 RUM has dropped 3 elk for me.

Ditto what varmint hunter said. But, if you already have a 140 load worked up and are confident shooting at those distances then you would be foolish to change this close to the hunt.

The 140 AB will definitely drop'em out to 400 no problem.

Thanks for the help. The guy that built my gun used 72.5 gr of IMR 4831 and said velocity was around 3300. Tried some H4831 after some posts here but did not get very good accuracy after 72.5 gr. One person was going as high as 81 gr with a 140 pill and was getting great groups. with the 72.5 it was .25 or so. After that well over an inch. Maybe it was just me..any thoughts.

I have not had good results when I pushed the 140's in my STW. The 160's always shot good with max loads. Except for that 162 AMAX. It just didn't group in my gun unless I slowed it WAY down.

The 160 AB and the 156 Cauterucio worked best. The 160 AB was the obvious choice because the Cauterucio is much better at Long Range and the AB is good at all distance.

I use 80 grains of Retumbo and it shoots great. 80 grains of H1000 shot equally as well.

Good Luck

I hane also have not had good results with the Accu-Bonds. Last year I shot 180gr Accu-Bonds out of my .300 win mag, and I found that I continually had the bullets fragmenting on impact. I lost one Whitetail, and one cow elk. The whitetail that I did shoot the bullet completely exploded when it hit the ribs, but luckily a few pieces of the bullet nicked the heart. I am going to shoot Barnes X Triple shocks this year in 168gr. I will not shoot the Accu-Bonds again they are garbage.

I recovered 2 140 AB from my recent elk hunt one broke an elk shoulder and stopped on the off side hide at 25 yards it was going 3050 fps. retained about 75 percent of it's wieght. The other one hit no bone on an angled shot retained about 80 percent. The second bullet into that elk went thru shoulder and spine then exited. I was pleased with the performance, very nice mushrooms.

I shoot Nosler 160's in my 7mag and had execellent results out to 250 yard on mule deer. Never recovered a bullet as It's exit is around 2"

well hate say it but i posted this on a different forum justs got back form Alberta shot a nice 176 3/8 mulie 280 yards through the bread basket and tore his lungs up and exited. Not so lucky on a Whitetail at 310..Blew up on impact tried a texas heart shot going away at 180 flopped him but still not dead. The bullet hit the left rump and never reached bone. it was completely intact. Going back to Partitions, A-Frames or TSX if I can get them to shoot. Anybody got any loads with the TSX for the STW?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts