14 months in the making...300 RUM

I think you are underestimating your velocity with 230s unless you are downloading it.

26" 300 Norma Improved rifles are kissing 3100.
Yeah my little old win mag hits 2800 no pressure no problem with 225s out of a 24 inch pipe (26 with the brake)…hard to imagine RUM capacity and 8 inches more barrel only beating that by 150-200 fps with a bullet that's only 5 grains heavier!

Another option is to grind a few thou off the shell holder so the die will size the base more provided you don't bump the shoulder too much. The option I have used on some bought used when you couldn't find any RUM brass was to cut the top off of a cheap resizing die so it wouldn't bump the shoulder at all then grind a bit off the bottom so it would resize like a small base die, A $20 fix. Is the case stuck tight in the chamber or is it for of a timing/extraction issue ?
RUM.jpg

I had the exact same issue with my m700lr in 300rum ... my fix was to take a bit off the top of the rivet with a dremel... the gunsmith I used at the time told me I should have used a rivet specific anvil with a 2oz or so hammer to flatten the rivet head down a bit...
The case heads will expand a couple thou the first firing or two but should stabilize unless your loads are to wound up.

Update....bolt is out to LRI for M16 extractor install.

Smith that built rifle will check bolt nose recess and headspace upon return of bolt. I will continue load development once rifle is cleared and functioning properly.

Ordered another accessory for this rifle morning...pics to come 😀

it should be functioning fine after the mod... at present you nearly HAVE to make this mod (m16 extractor) when your extractor isn't working properly. I don't know of anyone with any stock of fresh mag. extractors... kinda sucks...

Yeah that's what I gathered from smith as in if you want to shoot it any time soon just send it out then I'll check it when it gets back and I'll be off to the races again.

20220416_084204.jpg

20220416_084217.jpg

20220416_084233.jpg

ARCA rail directly from Greyboe. I think it's awesome. I had planned to use kinetic research quick connect mount for bipod. This is so much better, I have Warne ARCA mount for Harris bipods. It doesn't look like much but i think it puts bipod about 2-3" further forward which with that 32" barrel makes a real difference.

Ok here it is newest member of the family....other family members to be posted soon. I will invite insight into holes in my collection...I hope I'm close to finished.

More family...6.5x284

Built by:
John Myer
Custom Gunsmithing
Boyce, Va

Action - Left Hand Remington 700, action faced, bolt face trued, lugs lapped. Bolt handle added. Jeweling removed from bolt. Timney SS trigger set to 1.5lbs.

Barrel - 32" Brux custom contour straight for 5" straight taper to .9 @ 32", fluted, 1:10", 5 port muscle brake.

Stock - Greyboe Ridgeback, bedded recoil lug. Bead blasted mlok panels.

Entire barrreled action bead blasted.

Empty weight(no bipod) 13lb 3.4oz

Scope will be Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA-2 with Sightron rev count turrets.

....230gr hope to be around 2950-3000fps. That 230 A-Tip is right at the lands at 3.92 COAL. Must remove bolt to expel loaded round.

More pics to come. And with some load data. Will link in this post if I post loads in reloading section.

View attachment 353941
View attachment 353942
View attachment 353943
All that wait and the bolt is on the wrong side,

Have fun with that masterpiece, and looking forward to the range and harvest reports. Cheers!

It looks as though Retumbo is being rather peaky with your 300rums like it is in my rifles. You really ought to try to get some rl33, rl50, or the like to get your vel. up a bit. I've seen h50BMG available online for some not so crazy prices lately. I think it was even on sale at Brownells. That would act just about like rl50 and be temp. stable to boot. I run it in my Brux bbl'd 7rum with 175 eld-x and it loves the combo.

Haha wrong side....looks fine to me!
looks fine to me too...
I am right-handed but left-eye (I had LASIK done in 2013) dominant; my right eye is not corrected and needs it for reading. I have been told that I should shoot bow and rifle left-handed. One of the combat arms instructors in one of my M-16 training had me try left-handed; while I hit better group-wise, I failed miserably when timed because everything was awkward. I have yet to try it in archery; I use contact lens during bow season.

I am right-handed but left-eye (I had LASIK done in 2013) dominant; my right eye is not corrected and needs it for reading. I have been told that I should shoot bow and rifle left-handed. One of the combat arms instructors in one of my M-16 training had me try left-handed; while I hit better group-wise, I failed miserably when timed because everything was awkward. I have yet to try it in archery; I use contact lens during bow season.
One of the biggest things you will notice other than the awkwardness is recoil tolerance. Even though I'm left handed and left eye dominant, I will slide in behind a rifle right handed once in a while just to shoot off handed. My recoil tolerance lh is off the charts; I'll run a lightweight 375 (no brake) off the sand and have shot lh with a 416 lightweight without it bothering me. Right handed I'm topped out in the 7rem/ 300win window.

One of the biggest things you will notice other than the awkwardness is recoil tolerance. Even though I'm left handed and left eye dominant, I will slide in behind a rifle right handed once in a while just to shoot off handed. My recoil tolerance lh is off the charts; I'll run a lightweight 375 (no brake) off the sand and have shot lh with a 416 lightweight without it bothering me. Right handed I'm topped out in the 7rem/ 300win window.
I can get away with a rifle because I can adjust the focus/magnification to see my target, but in archery, everything beyond 15Y is a blur without a contact lens. I could have both eyes LASIK corrected, but I would need reading glasses. I opted to go the monovision route and use contact lenses a few days out of the year instead of having reading glasses.