1350yd colorado bull elk

7mmCUB

colorado08066-1.jpg

here is a pic of my 5x5 i shot this fall in colorado at 1350 yds. i shot it with my custom winchester model 70 30" lilja barreled 7 STW flyin a 162gr hornady amax. man they can carry some lead:D

i hit him through the lungs and neck and he went down both times...i finally got him in the shoulder the 3rd time he got up and then he was done!

i hit him through the lungs and neck and he went down both times...i finally got him in the shoulder the 3rd time he got up and then he was done!

Well, that certainly pushes the cartridge and bullet to the extreme. Out of curiosity, I would be interested in whether the last bullet actually broke the shoulder and what part of the shoulder it was.

congratulations for sure. great shooting and thanks for the pics. i greatly enjoy seeing the pictures.

BuffaloBob, i'm curious what you mean when you say "breaking the shoulder" i've never quite understood what this meant.

"breaking the shoulder

Was a shoulder bone actually broken and which part of which of the two bones in the shoulder was broken?

There is a difference in shooting an elk in the shoulder and missing bone and actually hitting the bone and breaking it.

elk-anatomy.jpg

OK, i always called that the shoulder blade. reason i've always been a little confused with this is deer don't have a shoulder joint/socket like we do.

how did you come up with this pic and get it posted so fast?

how did you come up with this pic and get it posted so fast?

About six months ago a new guy decided to give some of us a lecture on bullet trajectory at long range and said a bullet was falling fast enough to that it could hit the back bone and then pass through the heart. So I had the picture on the server from then.

There are actually two bones - the shoulder and the blade. The shoulder is a large and tough bone and the blade is of varying thicknesses just like on a deer. On a deer or elk you only have about a 30-40% chance of getting a bullet into the chest without hitting a bone of some kind.

My interest stems from the fact that I used the predeccessor to the AMax on an elk and it would not break the bone at an equivalent impact velocity. That is the same bullet that Yobuck likes to shoot. So the question on the table is the Amax tougher than I believe or was the bone not struck and broken. It is important to know what doesn't work as well as what does work i. e. what is the point of failure.

It is just a question to try to actually learn something, which is one of the chief reasons for being here.

yes it hit right in the middle of the bone...maybe just a little low clipping the heart on the way through. the bullet actually broke both shoulders and layed under the hide on the exit side. it was just flattened right out! the other 2 bullets went all the way through with about an inch and a half exit wound. i run a velocity of 3320 using retumbo powder

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.